Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Types of Cots to buy - Fixed or Dropdown Sides?

(12 Posts)
TXB Mon 31-Aug-09 18:24:12

Hi,
Wondering if anyone can tell me if buying a cot with fixed sides is too limiting and hard on your back when getting the baby in and out? I have been looking at cots with the dropdown sides but have seen quite a few fixed side ones that I prefer the look of. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

nappyzoneisback Mon 31-Aug-09 18:37:40

i was grateful of the drop down sides when we lowered the mattress right down - it was a back saver.

MrsBadger Mon 31-Aug-09 18:39:13

hmm

I would go for a dropside if at all possible

and a one-handed drop side at that

don't get hung up on the look either, they're not in it for long really and the nursery will be covered in multicoloured tat before long anyway.

differentID Mon 31-Aug-09 18:40:30

one handed drop side! are you on about cot-beds though? the majority of those don't have them so you might need to look harder for them.

notevenamousie Mon 31-Aug-09 18:56:25

I only have one child - imagine the back saver is more relevant when your are pg with a toddler (maybe not tho...)
We have a cotbed with fixed sided. We co-slept in my bed in the early days. We stopped when she thought it was a cue to play not a cue to sleep (about 15 months) and not had a problem with fixed sides from that age. But it is so so dependent on you, your baby and your sleep time parenting!

nappyzoneisback Mon 31-Aug-09 19:53:57

Ours was a cot bed with drop down side. Mamas and papas i think it is from babies r us.

TXB Tue 01-Sep-09 14:47:15

Thanks everyone. It's interesting to know that it's harder to find the cot beds with the drop down sides - I thought maybe they were unpopular as the majority I find are fixed but now I know I just have to look a bit harder. I'm not an overly tall person so the thought of reaching in and picking up my baby as he gets heavier and the mattress is moved lower is not appealing to me.

If anyone knows any good brands of cots with the one handed drop down side, that would be great!

Many thanks.

MissusG Wed 02-Sep-09 18:40:14

HI, funnily enough i have exactly the same query and a pointer as to where to buy a decent (and reasonably priced) drop sided cotbed would be great smile

alypaly Wed 02-Sep-09 18:43:33

get a drop down one and then when babes is bigger you can take the side off and it will do as a small bed until they need a bigger one.

SomeSleepPlease Thu 03-Sep-09 16:42:19

I have found this one online www.bebestore.co.uk/east-coast-morston-drop-side-cot-bed-60-p.asp I would recommend cotbeds as with my first it was quite a big step for him to move into a bed from his cot.

MissusG Fri 04-Sep-09 20:38:46

great, thanks for the help

kellyatbabyguds Thu 10-Sep-09 14:47:23

Bebecar also do a good quality cot bed in the energy range which has a drop side www.bebecar.co.uk/products/nursery_furniture/energy__junior_furniture_range/index.htm It comes in a nice pale french oak finish or white.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now