Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is the answer to my space problems, or a really bad idea?

(11 Posts)
preggersplayspop Mon 31-Aug-09 14:16:47

I am pg with DS2 due soon and starting to realise its going to be a bit of a squeeze in our house. Although DS2 will be in our bedroom for a while, eventually when we move him out he will have to share a room with his brother. DS2 will be about 2 and a half when he is born so probably 3ish when he has to share a room.

I have been looking for a compact cot to put into DS1's room and liked the Ikea Gulliver cot, but when I measured up I realised his room is going to lose a lot of space and fitting both new cot and DS1's bed will make it really awkward in there.

I saw this on the John Lewis website which would tuck into a space in his room and we could also use in our room at the start. I had a look at it in JL though and although DS1 is only just 2, there is no way he would fit into it! I am thinking it would only be useful up to 18mo and as its £300 it would be very expensive (though still a hell of lot cheaper than moving house, which would be another option...)

Does anyone else have any ideas? Eventually we will probably get bunks but DS1 will be too young for a while. Recommendations for smaller than the norm cots would be great (but a bit bigger than the Bloom one).

PS other issue is that we have always co-slept with DS1 who never liked his cot. We have just about managed to get him into his bed for most of the night but 9 times out of 10 he is in our bed by morning. I won't be able to fit both of them and DH into our double bed!

whomovedmychocolate Mon 31-Aug-09 19:48:27

Is the idea with the one you linked to that you will fold it down every morning? That's not going to happen is it? hmm smile

What's the headspace like - would you consider a high bed with a cot underneath - or ideally a cotbed so you wouldn't have to buy something else for a few years? Your DS may enjoy being in a brand new 'big boy bed' than what he has.

bonkerz Mon 31-Aug-09 19:52:14

i would actually look at a travel cot if space is a problem.....alot cheaper than the cot you linked to but does the same job! would be fine for when baby moves out of moses basket till about 2.

Heated Mon 31-Aug-09 20:03:04

The one you linked looked a lot of money for quite a short period of time. Have you looked at Ikea's loft beds which have room for another bed directly underneath or come out at right angles? Might be a bit high though for ds1.

Or what about any of these with a bit of temporary adjustment for dc2 in that 6m-18m, eg a sturdy travel cot that they can't roll or climb out of with a really good mattress?

preggersplayspop Mon 31-Aug-09 20:43:53

Hi, no I wasn't planning to fold it down every day, its just that its so small I thought it would squeeze into a corner of the room and not take up too much floor space. I remembered today though that DS1 was about 86cm long when he was 18months so I just can't see how that Bloom one would last longer than 12 months. I think their claim that it would last up to 2 years is stretching the truth a little!

Travel cot could be a good plan. We used one for a while with DS1 and he was ok in it. We also had him on a cot bed mattress in our room for a while because he hated his cot. I guess that could be another option.

Will have a look at the Ikea ones, thanks also for the other links. Its given me some more things to think about.

I also found this one when I was doing some more searching today, which looks ok, and a lot cheaper!

Umlellala Mon 31-Aug-09 20:51:00

Congrats!

We bought a superkingsize bed from Ikea to fit us all in... Was brill and we think co-sleeping all together helped dd adjust to new baby. Have just sold our cot as ds never actually slept in it (for more than three days or something). Planning to move him straight to a bed when (if?!) we move.

preggersplayspop Mon 31-Aug-09 21:11:43

I would love to go down the superkingsize route so we could all co-sleep comfortably together. Unfortunately the space problems are also in our main bedroom as well!

My DS1 only slept in his cot for a few days as well and always hated it. Its one reason I am reluctant to spend a lot on a cot, in case DS2 is the same. I always assumed babies loved being in their cots, it came as a bit of a surprise to me when he screamed when I tried to get him in it!!

thisisyesterday Mon 31-Aug-09 21:20:49

what about the babybay here

you could have it next to your bed for co-sleeping purposes and then still have ds1 in with you as well.
and depending on how long he fits in it can have it in the shared room too

we actually kept ds2 in with us until he was about a year because he was still feeding so frequently at night, so you may not need to worry for some time!

what kind of bed is ds1 in? a full size single or something smaller? we have a shorty thuka which is nice and takes up less room, just about to buy another for ds2 to go in as ds3 nearly nbeeds the cot!

aaaaaaaaand finally... does ds1 play in his room much? i only ask because mine really don't play upstairs, despite having toys up there. it's only recently that ds1 has wanted to go up and play and that's only to get away from ds2 lol
so the lack of space may not bea real issue

preggersplayspop Mon 31-Aug-09 21:30:30

The babybay is a really nice idea, wish I had had one when DS1 was young. I am thinking DS2 will be in with us for at least a year (DS1 was, though we did try shifting him out a few times he kept sneaking back!) so it could be worth thinking about. This is definitely giving me some more ideas but I am now thinking it may be worth waiting to see what kind of baby DS2 is and how independent he is likely to be before I rush into buying something.

DS1 is in a cot bed now, I did wonder about getting a full sized single (I'll need to eventually) and maybe a truckle underneath I could pull out and tuck away during the day. I often end up falling asleep in DS1's bed anyway whilst battling to get him asleep, at least if it was a single I could sleep more comfortably!

We do play in his room a lot, that's one of the reasons I am keen to keep the space as much as possible. Its one of the sunniest rooms in the house so really nice to play in(and for me to loll around in pretending to play but really reading a magazine).

thisisyesterday Tue 01-Sep-09 21:13:39

ooh i had another thought. we actually had the biggest bedroom in the house, and then realised that it was dumb because we only ever sleep in it. so we swapped and gave the kids the bigger room and took the medium one for ourselves

preggersplayspop Tue 01-Sep-09 21:48:29

Thanks thisisyesterday, I don't think I could give up on my own bedroom! We do have another guest room which we could use for DS1 when he is a bit bigger, but I have some safety concerns with that room because of staircase/window issues which is why I had ruled it out for now.

Still mulling over the various ideas I've got from this thread, which have been really helpful. Am also thinking that if I could hang on with DS2 in our room for as long as possible then I could maybe go to bunks when DS1 is 4ish, but reading some threads on bunks on here made me realise there is nothing to stop the younger one going up the ladder. Arrrgggghhhh! No perfect solution!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now