Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Recommendations for travel cot?

(11 Posts)
aquavit Thu 13-Aug-09 11:14:45

We're going away soon with 16wk dd, who at home is now out of her moses basket and into her cot. I'd like a travel cot that will last until she's reasonably big, and that is sturdy and comfortable - any recommendations?

thanks!

aquavit Thu 13-Aug-09 11:16:12

oops, also meant to say - any suggestions on things I should be looking out for/to avoid would be really helpful too.

fizzpops Thu 13-Aug-09 11:38:54

We have a Graco one a bit like this.

It is fairly bulky if you would be using it to take abroad but fine for putting in the back of the car etc.

My thoughts on buying it was that I could always use it as a temporary playpen should the need arise (never did!). Ours was much cheaper than the one shown - the design is basically the same for this sort. My parents have an Oomo which is a bit more complicated but basically the same mechanism.

My DD still uses hers and is 16mths old so it does last, we just have to make sure we set it up away from cupboards etc that she can grab things off!

Friends of mine initially bought ones that are very lighweight (pop up or one that is put up like a tent etc) I think, which are great until the child is mobile and then would be too low.

Sorry that is the extent of my experience of travel cots!

MrsBadger Thu 13-Aug-09 12:20:19

pay the extra and get one with a bassinette in thus or similar - they are sooo much easier on your back when they are tiny and you're picking up / putting down all night

we have one similar to this and it was hell until she could stand up to be lifted in and out.

in fact I am trying v hard to borrow a bassinette insert to put in it for the next baby

cheeseytoastie Thu 13-Aug-09 12:31:51

We did buy one of the tent things and my ds slept in it on our last break aged 3.2 because he always falls out of big beds! You can unzip a panel on the side and top, but once side is zipped up they can't un-do it. Worth getting decent self-inflating mattress. Think this is the one I have

www.mumsnet.com/Reviews/TravelCots/107-nomad-travel-tent/

aquavit Thu 13-Aug-09 13:12:38

this is all very helpful, thankyou! who knew travel cots could be so complicated...
I've just found an Oomo for fifty quid including bassinette so I might go for that; I like the idea that it could be a playpen too.

MrsBadger Thu 13-Aug-09 13:19:44

where? where?

I want one too!

castlesintheair Thu 13-Aug-09 13:20:46

Hauck

aquavit Thu 13-Aug-09 13:37:38

MrsBadger it's here

EyeballsintheSky Thu 13-Aug-09 13:41:09

We have this one for dd and I love it. The bassinette was so useful. In fact for dc2 I'll use this in the bedroom from day one and keep the moses basket downstairs.

aquavit Mon 17-Aug-09 16:40:24

Just in case anyone is still looking at this thread! I've just got the Oomo Roomo 2 with the bassinette and am feeling a bit peeved - their website says bassinette can be used till 6 months but the instructions say 3 months. I've emailed to ask which it is but no reply as yet...
having said that 15 week dd is in there right now (fast asleep smile) as it looks to me as though it is perfectly safe for her at least until she can move around a lot more.

Otherwise it seems fine - easy to put up and down, nice and light, folds up neatly, good big mattress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now