Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Memory Foam Mattresses

(9 Posts)
LulaTallulah Wed 12-Aug-09 12:00:24

We are about to buy DD1 and DD2 bunk beds and I wondered what people thought of memory faom mattresses? I have read they are better for backs especially childrens. They are (of course) more expensive, but I am seeing this as an investment (the beds are good quality) as the bunks sep into two single beds so I want to get good quality mattresses.

Thoughts anyone?

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 12-Aug-09 12:14:43

Jury's out here.

We got one recently (just for dh and I, not the dcs). It has been a godsend for my back. I was waking up stiff and pained each day, and now don't. Dh isn't at all keen though. He finds it too soft and gets too hot.

LulaTallulah Wed 12-Aug-09 12:21:32

I know what he means. We stayed at a friends for week and they had one. I think it's something you need to get used to, but I have reading up and some people say they are too soft for a childs developing spine!

Not sure what to do.

Jux Wed 12-Aug-09 12:49:38

We were given a single which dd has. I liked it so much (and dh had always been keen) so eventually we got a double for us.

I had been almost immobile for hours after getting up, but with the tempur I was pretty good in the mornings. However, dh HATES itsad; poor old thing.

We can't afford to get another mattress (and I want this one anyway!) so we're wracking our brains trying to work out whether we can cut this one in half, get a single which works for dh, and somehow fix the two together. The most hopeless part of that problem is dh, who isn't being helpful with regard to finding one he likes! I think he enjoys moaning.wink

KingCanuteIAm Wed 12-Aug-09 12:54:25

My older dds both have them, they are very comfortable but I wouldn't get them for my younger dc. I do think they are not supportive enough when they are little (no research just instinct) they are also very hot!

Basically I would say, get a cheaper one until they are about 10 and then invest in the memory foam ones - but that is just me!

Oh, final word wink teenagers are bad enough to get out of bed, give them a memory foam mattress and you may never see them again grin

LionstarBigPants Wed 12-Aug-09 12:57:29

We decided to stick clear of memory foam matresses after hearing about how many people develop allergic reactions to them - they give off serious amounts of chemicals and your nose is only millimeters away, so inhale lots. Was worried about chemical exposure for kids. We went for an organic sprung mattress for us, and an organic coir and latex (which is a bit like memory foam) for DDs cot and toddler bed.

Probably being a bit precious, but am a bit worried about environmental pollutants in general.

LulaTallulah Wed 12-Aug-09 13:01:11

Thanks guys. Yes, I have just read that they are very chemical and smelly (and not v. enviro friendly) and have also seen they are not supportive enough!

Will stick with normal sprung ones until they are older! Brilliant advice, thanks everyone.

KingCanuteIAm Wed 12-Aug-09 13:05:56

Oh yes, we have those thick covers on ours because of the chemicals, I wasn't sure if I was being a bit precious about it either grin

LulaTallulah Wed 12-Aug-09 13:35:34

No, not too precious at all, you can never be too careful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now