Talk

Advanced search

Moses basket or side sleeping crib

(9 Posts)
Newtoallofthis2019 Sat 26-Jan-19 08:11:34

Hi all...due in June & my current dilemma is whether to get a moses basket (I’m Not overly keen on the wicker ones but like the look of the moba) or to get a side sleeping crib like the next to me/snuzpod/tuttibambini. Has anyone else gone for a side sleeper and ended up using a Moses or the other way round? I had kind of decided on the moba and then was speaking to someone who used a next to me and she said it was just so much easier so now I’m a bit back to square one...

Babdoc Sat 26-Jan-19 08:16:45

I just used a bog standard drop side cot, with the side down, pressed up against my edge of the bed. That way, DD1 was easily accessible for feeding or comforting, and she could see and hear me beside her, so she felt secure and slept soundly. I kept the cot there beside me for the first fifteen months, then moved her to a bed as DD2 was due the next month!
I didn’t think Moses baskets were worth it for the short time you can use them.

SoyDora Sat 26-Jan-19 08:18:37

For my first two I just had a Moses basket. DD1 loved, DD2 would literally never sleep in hers. Now got 2 week old DS and we bought a tutti bambini side sleeper. We decided on it over a Moses basket as it’s bigger, so hopefully he’ll be able to stay in it in our room until 6 months, it has an incline option for reflux (which we’re currently making use of!) and it makes feeds easier. It’s serving us well so far.
We have a Moses for downstairs but he doesn’t settle in it.

AwkwardAsAllGetout Sat 26-Jan-19 08:19:44

I’m expecting dc 4 and for my others I had a Moses basket as wide cribs weren’t really available. This time we’ve gone for a side sleeper (embarrassingly we’ve ended up with both a snuzpod and a Next to me thanks to a generous friend letting us borrow their outgrown crib) and the reason we did is so we hopefully get more use out of it. Moses baskets are just so small that I was lucky to get 6 weeks out of them. We intend to use the next to me upstairs as that’s the one we bought ourselves and it’s wider, and the snuzpod downstairs instead of a Moses basket. With my other dc we lived in a flat so only needed one, but this time we’re in a house and I have a very bad back so facing the prospect of doubling up on pretty much everything so I don’t have to use the stairs more than I have to in the early days.

PoutySprout Sat 26-Jan-19 08:19:59

Neither. We bedshared and then DD had a baby hammock (but also still bedshared).

KatnissKringle Sat 26-Jan-19 08:20:19

I found a moses basket a total waste, DS didn't really like it and he outgrew it really quickly anyway. I'd go a larger side sleeper crib or a normal cot with the side down as a pp suggested (my plan if I ever have number 2!).

bellajay Sat 26-Jan-19 08:22:59

I’ve used a Moses basket which has lasted until DS is 4 months but he’s too big for it now really and we need to transfer him to a cot. He’s slept in it fine and it’s nice and compact, plus easy to move around.

However, given the choice again I would go side sleeper. I just think it would be easier while recovering from the birth not to have to get up and lift the baby out of the basket. Plus it’s easier to check on them without having to get up to look.

WinterWife Sat 26-Jan-19 08:23:07

Cotbed with one side taken off and pushed to side of our bed!
Less chance of little one outgrowing it before 6 months or 14 months in my case. 🙈

Newtoallofthis2019 Sun 27-Jan-19 08:54:09

Thanks all I went to look at them all yesterday and thinking to go for the next to me - John Lewis has this one www.johnlewis.com/chicco-next-to-me-magic-crib-grey/p3834343?sku=237813653&s_kwcid=2dx92700039926418743&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi7Xu4cqN4AIVZZPtCh0yXw2JEAQYASABEgKm9fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds which has a rocking function too and the side bar just pushes down - liked the look of it too!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »