Talk

Advanced search

Where do I buy a longer bed for my very tall son

(8 Posts)
stirling Sat 15-Dec-18 23:14:29

Really appreciate some help here and don't know where to post this.
Does anyone know where I should go with my son (age 13 but looks 16) -for a new bed urgently. His childhood bed is broken and he has neck and shoulder pain.

He's slim and is about 180cm tall already at 13. Feet reaching end of single bed.

A European single? Ikea? Dreams? Internet purchase? John Lewis were a bit useless.

Thanks in advance for any help

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 15-Dec-18 23:20:12

That's not particularly tall but he's probably only going to get bigger. grin He's probably sore because the mattress won't be supportive enough. If you have room then I'd go for a double. My DSs have Ikea european doubles as I think they are a little longer than normal and they don't have space for a King which tends to be a bit longer. Obvs in the bigger bed they can sleep diagonally. They are 6'3 and 6'2. If you do only have room for a single, then i'd go for an ikea one and make sure it doesn't have an end board so he can hang his feet over the end. I cn remember having to shove my own feet through the slats of mine as a teenager (I'm 5'10).

stirling Sun 16-Dec-18 20:55:37

Thank you waxon, Ive really struggled to get him to find any mattress at IKEA comfortable today.

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 16-Dec-18 22:33:10

That's a shame. Mine both have sprung ones and find them good, DS1 has one of their toppers too. However I have seen other comments about their mattresses so I'm wondering if they've changed them.

I can't remember which ones they have but looking at the website, it would be the equivalent to this one (seems about the right price range)

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/mattresses/mattresses-toppers/hamarvik-sprung-mattress-medium-firm-dark-beige-art-50258728/

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 16-Dec-18 22:34:04

Does he have space for a double or even a small double?

Processedpea Sun 16-Dec-18 22:34:51

We bought one from e bay

Processedpea Sun 16-Dec-18 22:35:34

(A European single)

stirling Mon 17-Dec-18 10:44:01

I might actually get someone I know to come in and see if they can rejig his room to accommodate a double. I'm hopeless when it comes to spacial awareness!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »