Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing cots and beds. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

The results are in - this is the UK's best newborn bed. Do you agree?

(56 Posts)
HannahGMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Jan-18 11:39:50

After weeks of trawling talkboards, talking to parents and researching bestsellers, we put the best of the best newborn beds on the market through some real-life, extreme testing to find the best sleeping options for your newborns.

Each of the newborn beds was put through its paces for a whole week, and tested on the following criteria – safety and stability, ease of assembly, day-to-day usefulness, cleanliness, aesthetics and value for money. Any accompanying fabrics such as sheets or bedding were always washed in the same way on the same wash cycle, too, so we know just how easily each is to clean.

The results are in and the Sleepyhead was our overall winner. Take a look at our full list of Mumsnet Best Newborn Beds to find out what we thought to the rest of the beds we tested, whether you're on a budget or looking to splash out.

Do you agree? Share your feedback below

justtheonethen Wed 17-Jan-18 11:45:57

I am a bit surprised that your number one choice is something that doesn't fit with the Lullaby Trust's safer sleeping guidelines.

Almostthere15 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:29:38

Isn't this a sleep positioner and therefore doesn't fit with safe sleeping guidelines. If so seems an odd choice?

readysteadyteddy Fri 09-Feb-18 18:42:41

Isn't it one of these? I can't see the difference

www.babybargains.com/dockatot-review-not-recommended/

Almostthere15 Mon 12-Feb-18 17:42:59

@HannahGMumsnet can you answer the above, I can see now after some research it's not "technically" a sleep positioner but it doesn't adhere to safe sleeping guidelines. I think it's quite irresponsible for a parenting website to recommend something that doesn't fit with safe sleeping - why did you?

HannahGMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Feb-18 09:21:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HannahGMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Feb-18 09:22:32

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for voicing your opinions on our Best Newborn Beds 2018 - we're listening to all you're saying about the Sleepyhead and our Reviews Team are gonna have a sit down together today to chat about next steps.

Do keep checking back on this thread and we'll keep you posted!

[Above post withdrawn, incorrect product name due to early morning brain scramble!]

HannahGMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Feb-18 16:35:21

Hi again everyone - you spoke and we listened!

We agree that although the Sleepyhead is a very popular choice for a lot of parents, the Lullaby Trust recommends a firm and flat mattress for your newborn - which unfortunately the Sleepyhead isn't.

We have therefore done a bit of a switch-around, and have awarded the SnüzPod2 3-in-1 the honour of our Best Newborn Bed 2018.

The Sleepyhead is still up there in our top 5, as we can't ignore that it did such a great job throughout our rigorous testing process.

Thanks for your feedback, and please do let us know what you think to our other choices too!

splendide Tue 27-Feb-18 18:28:32

I loved the sleepyhead. Was a complete lifesaver for me.

CL1982 Tue 27-Feb-18 19:10:45

Isn't it a little counter productive that something that has quite negative reports for causing SIDS is being endorsed by Mumsnet?

My DH is a scientist and after 5 minutes research decided we weren't touching it with a barge pole. Just seems a little odd....

windchimesabotage Tue 27-Feb-18 19:14:34

does anyone know if the sleepyhead has less risk of causing SIDS than baby sleeping on their side, front or co sleeping? It would be nice to know the safest option if your baby simply will not settle flat on their back in a cot or moses basket

PieceOfTheMoon Tue 27-Feb-18 19:18:35

@CL1982 - so how many cases of SIDS have been directly linked to the Sleepyhead?

GimbleInTheWabe Tue 27-Feb-18 19:32:27

The midwife at our antenatal classes told us to keep well clear of the sleepyhead for the very reasons SIDS state so we did. I would definitely had bought one too so that saved me about £120 I think!

We did however have the snuzpod which, I agree, was totally fab. So great in the early newborn days to have them so close by but I always felt like DS was safe in his little zone. The only drawback is that at 3 1/2 months he'd already outgrown it, he is a big baby though. We've now got the Chico next to me which is just as good and is a little bigger too so you get more use out of it.

CL1982 Tue 27-Feb-18 19:56:14

@PieceOfTheMoon you'd need to go online and check that. It was enough that DH had one of his very rare 'we're absolutely not buying that' moments.

PieceOfTheMoon Tue 27-Feb-18 20:04:13

As far as I can see there is not one single case worldwide.

Bellamuerte Tue 27-Feb-18 20:10:09

My main complaint about the Snuzpod is that the side has a steel bar through it which needs to be removed if you want to lower the side. The bar is quite difficult to remove, so if you're lowering the side regularly you have to leave the bar out permanently, which means the side of the cot is floppy and unsupported.

Bellamuerte Tue 27-Feb-18 20:12:12

We also chose not to buy a Sleepyhead because it doesn't meet safe sleep guidelines. Not worth the risk imo.

GimbleInTheWabe Tue 27-Feb-18 20:21:22

Hmm that interesting @Bellamuerte I didn't find that with my snuzpod. I left the bar out of the side we lowered and when the zips were done up fully it was pretty rigid. I found the Velcro at the top quite annoying as it was really noisy to undo/do up when DS had finally dropped off to sleep

Rae90 Tue 27-Feb-18 20:40:48

We use a Sleepyhead. Must be nice to have a perfect baby that will sleep on a cold hard mattress, unfortunately not all of us are that lucky.

I don't believe the Sleepyhead has been linked to any deaths.

Rae90 Tue 27-Feb-18 20:44:23

(I should add that I did not want to buy a Sleepyhead when I was pregnant, however once DD arrived and point blank refused to sleep anywhere but my chest, I decided it was probably safer for her to be in the Sleepyhead rather than on me).

CL1982 Tue 27-Feb-18 20:56:58

@Rae90 If you google it you get quite a lot of articles etc. It's great it worked for you but there are worries about the risks on sleepaids in general.

PieceOfTheMoon Tue 27-Feb-18 21:04:35

There are general concerns about sleep positioners and nests, based on a study in the US over many years. But the issues were with positioners/ nests which are not the same spec as the sleepyhead which has been used for years, all over the world, without a single death linked to it.

I'm not saying everyone should use one, but it's helpful to look at the facts and make an informed decision on the balance of risks.

CL1982 Tue 27-Feb-18 21:08:05

@PieceOfTheMoon It's been linked to Sleepaids in general. The FDA in the States banned them and several of the similar brands have been pulled including this brand in some stores.

I don't actually think you need deaths linked to one brand for a warning to be released. Personally it's enough for me to not want the worry over the convenience, but I get people may want them especially when you're absolutely exhausted and you're right that between two things it's better to have somewhere to put the baby down then to risk them falling asleep on you.... we all make our own choices are parents and do what we can to stay afloat. I just find it interesting that Mumsnet would endorse something that is so controversial.

I suppose my scooby senses were worrying about sponsorship or corporate relationships but I'm sure Mumsnet are impartial.....??

Nightmanagerfan Tue 27-Feb-18 21:12:03

Also don’t the Sleepyhead’s own guidelines say it should only be used for “supervised sleeping” ie not overnight or in a different room?

splendide Tue 27-Feb-18 21:29:40

I didn’t realise they are dangerous. Honestly I’m glad I didn’t - it was amazing. I wouldn’t call it a convenience really - it was the only place DS would sleep. Went from waking every 30 mins or so to sleeping 4 hour stretches the day we bought it, at the time I felt like it saved my life.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: