Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Given a second-hand John Lewis cot - is it still safe?

(10 Posts)
user1485341898 Wed 25-Jan-17 11:09:28

We've just been given a John Lewis cot which we're grateful for, but we're worried about its safety.

Everything we've read says new cots should meet BS EN 716:2008 however our cot is marked with BS EN 716:1996. Does that mean that the cot is now considered unsafe and should be replaced with a new one, or is it still okay?

We'd prefer not to have to get new one, but of course we'd rather spend the money than put baby's safety at risk.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

namechange20050 Wed 25-Jan-17 11:11:17

Do you suffer from anxiety? I think you need to take a step back. It's a cot. If it's in good repair get a new mattress and bobs your uncle.

namechange20050 Wed 25-Jan-17 11:15:11

Sorry if I was abrupt! Feel a bit mean now. The cot will be fine.

Catherinebee85 Wed 25-Jan-17 11:16:36

As long as nothing is loose or broken it's fine and you're worrying unnecessarily. Obviously you need a new mattress x

Soubriquet Wed 25-Jan-17 11:17:57

Long as it has a new mattress and the cot is good and solid, I would have no worries using it

Patriciathestripper1 Wed 25-Jan-17 11:19:01

My first 3 Dd had a very old cot handed down through the family that was originally my mothers them mine then theirs way before anything has to have a safety number.
As long as it is sturdy and well put together and baby can't fit his head throu the bars or the sides are super low I can't see a problem.

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Wed 25-Jan-17 11:22:28

Give it a good check over for loose screws etc and give it a good clean. As long as you've got a new mattress for it you'll be fine.

I'm going to hazard a guess that this is your first baby OP wink Honestly, please try and relax. I was very anxious too, and that's perfectly normal, but you do need to try and keep it in check because if you're not careful it will take over and ruin what should be a really special time. If you think it's beyond a bit of pfb worrying then go to the doctor. They can help.

Congratulations flowers

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Wed 25-Jan-17 11:23:35

Sorry, I may be totally projecting. It's just that this is exactly the kind of thing I would have worried about.

YouMeddlingKids Wed 25-Jan-17 11:24:10

IS the main change in law relating to drop sided cots, or did I make that up? I think cots have to have four solid sides now, so as long as you can fix it all together securely i'd say it's fine. If it meets 1996 guidelines its not going to be a death trap.

user1485341898 Thu 26-Jan-17 15:20:55

Thanks for your comments everyone, we've decided to go with the cot as it is. New mattress of course. Though if anything goes wrong we'll be pointing the authorities in your directions smile

And yes, it's our first sprog. We've gone to a lot of time and trouble to get this one so we're probably being a bit over-cautious. As far as I'm aware the new regs relate to the drop sides - they now have to lock into the lower position as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now