Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing cots and beds. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.


(4 Posts)
aster10 Fri 20-Jan-17 12:12:39

Dear all - do you by any chance know the difference between a swing, a rocker, a bouncer and a glider? Would the first three mean approximately the same, and the glider is a slightly different motion? And any recommendations? I came across an old thread where somebody confessed that a glider was making their baby nauseous. I guess that of course it depends on the baby, so we will not know without trying. I am asking myself if we should go for something that has a rocking movement and a gliding movement in it, but there are these four terms and I am completely lost. Thank you!

dementedpixie Fri 20-Jan-17 21:24:57

Do you mean a swing or a swinging crib as they are different things? One is an actual swing and the other is bed. You get rocking cribs too. We had one but always had it in a fixed position. A bouncer is a bouncy chair and used for reclined sitting rather than sleeping (might also be known as a rocking chair though). A glider might be a gliding crib.

aster10 Fri 20-Jan-17 21:46:15

Oh yes, I meant swinging, rocking and gliding cribs. There are also electric cradles. So five terms - swinging crib, rocking crib, gliding crib, cradle and bouncer! I think I am inclined to look for Joie Serina 2 in 1, but I am still confused as to what the difference is between, say, a rocking crib and a swinging crib. There are also the likes of Mamaroo out there...

blueberry549 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:36:28

From what i've looked at in terms of crib research, the rocking and swinging ones are similar it's just that rocking cribs have curved ends that sit on the floor to rock (like an old fashioned rocking chair), whilst swinging cribs swing from the top on rails or pegs fixed to a static stand. I hope that makes sense! Gliders are slightly different in that they 'glide' on rails. Most swinging cribs swing from side to side, whereas rockers and gliders can be either side to side or head to toe depending which one you buy.

After looking at everything hubbie and I have now decided to go for something more static to ease transition into cotbed later though!

Hope that helps smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: