This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Carrycot, moses basket, snuzpod, bednest, chicco next 2 me confusion!

(21 Posts)
RaspberryPi1 Tue 11-Oct-16 22:45:52

Having our first one early next year and quite overwhelmed with choice!

We are planning to buy a uppababy vista which comes with a carrycot. I had the bright idea of using the carrycot as a moses basket, and buying a cotbed to place next to our bed. However, cotbed tend to have specific heights levels, which is an issue in Itself!

Today a colleague recommended the snuzpod. Seems quite a bit of money for effectively 6 months, unless I'm missing something?

Was just wondering what baby sleeping furniture people tend to buy? Is the snuzpod, bednest or chicco next 2 me a very nice to have? Or not worth the money?

LittleBearPad Tue 11-Oct-16 22:47:01

Hired a bednest. It was excellent.

RaspberryPi1 Wed 12-Oct-16 07:13:03

How many months did you get out of the bednest and what did you do after it?

Any cotbed recommendations?

TheSmellofOldBooks Wed 12-Oct-16 07:26:31

With DD1 I had a moses basket next to the bed. I didn't like it - it creaked when I tried to put her down and woke her up, and I couldn't see her from the bes without sitting up. She outgrew it in 6 weeks too and we had to being the cot into our bedroom which was very cramped, but did work.

For DD2 (now 11 weeks) I have hired a bednest which I love. She is close and I can see her. I like that you can tilt it to help with reflux after night feeds. My plan is to keep her in it until she significantly stops night feeds, then she can go into the cot in her nursery. My SIL had the Chicco next to me and loved it, but as we aren't planning any more DC I thought hiring would be better tban the outlay on a new piece of kit.

Tbh though, if you have a big enough bedroom I might be tempted to set the cot up in there and use something like a snuzpod to keep the newborn cosy within the large cot. That bypasses cribs etc altogether.

Re cotbeds a Mothercare one lasted DD1 till 2.5 and is now ready for DD2 when she needs it.

Twistergeese Wed 12-Oct-16 07:30:24

Don't buy a Moses basket - you're right you can use uppababy part for day time and around the house. Also Moses basket at night is an absolute nightmare. Buy a next to you - best thing we ever did. We have it with our second baby and didnt with our first. Best thing is being able to see them without craning your neck and lift them easily without stooping over. Minimises disruption to them and you.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Wed 12-Oct-16 07:31:37

DS slept in a moses basket until he was 6 months, it was an old fashioned one so slightly bigger than the normal ones otherwise he would have outgrown it in about 6 weeks as he was a long baby but he loved it. I'm currently expecting another baby and she will sleep in the moses basket too mostly because we already have it.

We have a mammas and pappas cot bed which has 4 height levels, great for me as I'm short

Strawberry90 Wed 12-Oct-16 07:34:19

Chicco next to me. We use it as a stand alone cot as baby happy just in our room and not next to me. Everyone I know who has used it has had great sleepers. Our first DC was in a little crib and never slept. This one sleeps amazingly.

It's got the added benefit of being a travel cot too and you can adjust the height of the base and/or tip it up on one side of baby has cold.

We use the pram bassinet as a Moses basket downstairs too. We also have an uppababy - you might find you need to roll up cellular blankets and pop along either side in first few weeks to make more cozy as pram quite wide - be super careful these couldn't suffocate baby tho! If you swaddle too (which you should!) then they sleep quite well.

ToBeAChadsman Wed 12-Oct-16 07:34:28

We had a fabimax bedside cot for DC2 after seeing it mentioned on here - it is height adjustable to fit most beds. It lasted until she was crawling. Actually it's sitting under the spare bed waiting for me to get round to selling it so let me know if you're interested!

WitchWithAStitch Wed 12-Oct-16 08:07:54

Have you considered that the uppababy bassinet might get soaked through if you're walking in the rain?

Where can you hire a bednest?

LittleBearPad Wed 12-Oct-16 20:30:22

Bednest lasted seven months. Then cot in his own room.

JassyRadlett Wed 12-Oct-16 20:34:51

Another fan of the Chicco next to me as well - it was a brilliant for DS2 for all the reasons stated, really flexible, great for colds, coughs and lasted until (giant) baby was nearly 7 months.

LittleTalks Wed 12-Oct-16 20:39:35

We had a next to me, which was, erm, next to me for the first 10 weeks. Moved to the corner of our room and he stayed in that til 6 months (and there was still room despite him being 91st centile). Transition to own cot was pretty seamless. We bought ours second hand (new mattress) but when looking at the price bear in mind they have good resale value.
We also had a Moses basket which was a bit of a waste of time as the bassinet from the pram mainly got used downstairs.
Also... a sleepyhead. The most expensive bit of foam we've ever bought but I would have paid 10 times the price for how well DS slept in it.

JassyRadlett Wed 12-Oct-16 20:42:17

In fact, if anyone in the SW London area is after a Next to me, I'm about to sell ours.

StubbleTurnips Wed 12-Oct-16 20:45:36

Another co-sleeper type that's worth looking into is the Babybay, ridiculously priced if you order in the uk. You can order from Amazon.de and get the cot / mattress for about £140 including delivery. They hold their value for resale on eBay too:

Cineraria Wed 12-Oct-16 20:55:20

I'd second a Babybay direct from Germany. We got the larger Babybay maxi as DH is tall and we thought DS might be too. DS is one now but already bigger than next door's two and a half year old and he still fits in it whenever he comes in with us. It is so easy to adjust that I always threatened DM and MiL that we'd fix it to the futon they slept on when they visit!

It really helped with breastfeeding too as there is so little disturbance to us both and he even did his first few back to side rolls out of it into my arms when he wanted a feed.

I also think it's the nicest looking one. I was initially concerned if it would be safe until a German friend told me that it's used in lots of their maternity hospitals, which are known for being very safety conscious.

StubbleTurnips Wed 12-Oct-16 21:05:30

Cin glad you've posted! Our Maxi arrived from Germany a couple of weeks ago for use at Christmas with Turnip2. Wish we'd got one for DD tbh rather than arse about with Moses baskets and cots grin

Newlywed56 Wed 12-Oct-16 21:32:00

We had the Chico next to me , I found it really good. Especially when they have a cold and you can tilt the bed.. only down sight looking back now is that the breathing monitor that we have on the cot doesn't fit in the Chico. I just found I slept better with it on when they moved to the cot so next time thinking about getting one you can put the breathing monitor on

Strawberry90 Wed 12-Oct-16 21:53:53

Good point re breathing monitor but we put it inside base and cut a little hole down for wire so worked fine.

minipie Wed 12-Oct-16 22:00:24

Sleepyhead here. First few weeks I had it next to me in double bed (dh retreated to spare room after 1st week!) then she went in her cot in it, till 6ish months. Great as we could take it away with us easily, and have it downstairs for naps at the start. No need for anything else IMO!

RaspberryPi1 Thu 13-Oct-16 09:06:40

Thanks for all the good advice.
Definitely considering our options. With the moses basket not being one!

RaspberryPi1 Sun 16-Oct-16 16:41:41

Went to John Lewis today, we liked the look of the Silvercross, as it has quite a high 3rd setting.
Any recommendations for cotbed with quite a high top setting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now