Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Moses basket mattress in plasticky

(8 Posts)
Kione Fri 22-Jul-16 09:41:30

So I just got a Moses basket handed down. The mattress is foam with a plasticky cover that is not removable.
I don't remember my first one being like this, I am pretty sure it was a cozier feeling cotton cover.
Now, is the plasticky cover ok? I will use fitted moses sheets, but maybe I need to use another more comfortable cotton cover? Or buy another mattress altogether?
I don't know, the plastic cover makes me uneasy.

Thanks!!

Kione Fri 22-Jul-16 09:42:10

I meant is plasticky, not "in"

headffirst Fri 22-Jul-16 11:36:45

Have you thought of a sleeping pod instead? We've just had our second and a friend recommended the Sleepyhead pod to us on Teepee, my fav new recommendations app. You can take it wherever you go and just put it down and our baby sleeps a treat. Maybe worth considering?

Kione Sun 24-Jul-16 12:25:03

No, we put a moses basket on the babys room and we take turns (when possible) sleeping on a single bed there. Then the transfer to a cot its easy and the baby sleeps in the same room from the start. It worked brilluand for us with the first child.
I am really trying to find info about mattreses but I can't see any about plasticky ones being ok or not.

guiltynetter Sun 24-Jul-16 12:29:09

sorry I don't know the answer about it being plastic but I'm sure the advice is to buy a new mattress if you're getting a second hand/handed down Moses basket. even when I have my second baby I'll be buying a new mattress. they're so cheap, they range from £6-£15 that I've seen. it's not worth the risk if you feel uneasy x

dementedpixie Sun 24-Jul-16 12:29:29

They are supposed to have waterproof outer covers so that they are easily cleaned once they have been peed/puked on

FiveFullFathoms Sun 24-Jul-16 12:32:17

You should get a new mattress for each new baby so if this one has been handed down and is not removable then I wouldn't use it for that reason TBH.

I had quite a plasticy mattress for our Moses basket I think. I was ok with it because they have to have such stringent checks on mattresses and newborns don't move much anyway.

Kione Mon 15-Aug-16 11:46:45

Thanks for the replies.
Ok, so if I buy a new mattress I can get one that is not so plasticky I guess. I can see why they have to be wipeable but the cotton covered ones seem a lot cozier.
I thought I only had to change the cot mattress, which is ours but was used by my first daughter 7 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now