Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cot mattress

(16 Posts)
Christinedonna Sat 04-Jun-16 19:03:40

I can't find a thread about this, if you know of one please feel free to direct me to it! I've just brought our cot for first DD and have NO IDEA what kind of mattress to buy. Foam, pocket sprung,sprung, what should we get? What did you use?

CoffeeAndOranges Sat 04-Jun-16 19:11:05

Following! We are hoping to move DS into his soon. It's an ancient cot MIL brought up so all the dimensions are weird so hopefully we can get rid and get a newer one. DS sleeps best on the bed next to me so hoping to get a mattress that is soft enough to feel like our bed!!

CoffeeAndOranges Sun 05-Jun-16 11:14:48

Tumbleweed....

Christinedonna Sun 05-Jun-16 11:18:41

It doesn't look as though we're going to leave here satisfied with an answer does it haha!

BettyOBarley Sun 05-Jun-16 11:21:01

Hi! We got pocket sprung for both our DC, mainly because foam ones felt a bit solid and not very breathable, no idea if that is right or not!

Salene Sun 05-Jun-16 11:22:32

We have one from Little green sheep and it's great quality

Salene Sun 05-Jun-16 11:24:49

www.thelittlegreensheep.co.uk/the-little-green-sheep/twist-natural-latex-cot-bed-mattress-70x140cm/

It changes as the child grows, one side for babies then you turn it for toddlers

Christinedonna Sun 05-Jun-16 14:50:45

Also, it says the required mattress size is 140x69. Does this mean 140x70 wouldn't fit? Half a centimetre either side can't make that much of a difference surely?

Salene Sun 05-Jun-16 16:47:57

Yeah it will fit

Christinedonna Sun 05-Jun-16 17:46:28

Thank you

Artandco Sun 05-Jun-16 17:54:52

We also used the little green sheep mattresses. Several from mothercare and similar have been recalled recently for using toxic materials so I would be wary of anything super cheap

DavidPuddy Sun 05-Jun-16 17:58:48

We got a sprung mattress. I prefer to sleep on springs and hate foam, so figured why inflict it upon the baby?

We got an ikea cot, so got one of their mattresses as well.

kiwiscantfly Sun 05-Jun-16 18:05:19

http://babymattressesonline.co.uk/

We used this company twice and the service was excellent.

bookgirl1982 Sun 05-Jun-16 18:49:27

Agree that the little green sheep double sided one is lovely.

CoffeeAndOranges Tue 07-Jun-16 10:05:32

Ooh that green sheep one is lovely but shock at the price!! Not a fan of controlled crying but if we bought one of those we'd be trying anything to make sure he slept on the damn thing (unlike his equally expensive even second hand Snuzpod which he has never really settled well in).

Mind you our mattress cost a fortune too. It's one of those things that if it makes a difference it's worth its weight in gold!

Christinedonna Tue 07-Jun-16 15:21:17

They do seem awfully expensive!! I'm all for spending what I have to and not being tight when it comes to my child's needs but I'm not sure I could justify the best part of £200 on a mattress that will most likely collect dust while I'm a clingy mum that wants her baby to nap with her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now