This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Question about ikea bed sizes

(5 Posts)
Belo Tue 23-Jun-15 13:05:29

I'm thinking about buying DD2 the Hemnes Day Bed.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40300544/#/50080315

And, I'm wondering if her current mattress (standard single 90 cm x 190) will fit in? Ikea mattresses are 80 x 200).

Has anybody tried to fit a standard sized single mattress into an Ikea bed? Was it Ok?

bookgirl1982 Tue 23-Jun-15 13:08:53

They stock a mix of UK and european sized beds. It looks like the one you want will not take a UK mattress. The Malm single would, and possibly some of the others.

domesticslattern Tue 23-Jun-15 13:20:33

Nope. You need to buy an ikea mattress.
As it happens I am in Ikea right now eating meatballs if you have any other questions!

Ausflug Tue 23-Jun-15 13:26:23

You will need one that is long enough, otherwise you will have an obvious space at the bottom. I suppose you could perhaps cut out a bit of foam to fit. If your DD is young, I think it would probably be a safety hazard not to have the right length mattress (in case she got wedged in the gap).

I think one that is too wide would actually be OK, (if not ideal) because that bed pulls out into a double. So you could pull it out by just 10 cm to accommodate the slightly wider mattress.

Belo Wed 24-Jun-15 15:01:18

Oh dear. We don't want to buy another mattress as we spent quite a lot on the one she's currently got in her high sleeper. Now she's decided she doesn't like the high sleeper (and neither do I - not good for cuddles in bed) so we want to buy her another bed. She has specifically requested a daybed and this one seemed to tick all of our boxes - storage, extra sleeping space and can be made to look like a sofa when she has friends around. If anybody knows of anything similar please let me know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now