Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Do i need a mattress protector?

(6 Posts)
rubyred84 Mon 08-Jun-15 13:09:17

due twins at the end of July and to start with they will be in a cot together in our room. do I need a mattress protector? I have visions of nappy explosions and night feed vomit ruining the cot mattress. does anyone recommend getting some kind of waterproof mattress protector? if so, can you recommend one?

Hobby2014 Mon 08-Jun-15 13:14:02

The mattress I've got has a removable top layer, it just zips off and you can wash it and you're left with a water proof layer that they can sleep on whilst you're washing the top later. Was from mothercare.
My DS is almost 10 months and he's not had a poo explosion in bed as of yet, but sick and dribble.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Mon 08-Jun-15 13:18:31

Based on my experience you probably need about 5. I thought two was enough. The first time DD brought a d&v bug home from nursery proved that to be woefully inadequate! We have hippychick ones, they've been good so far.

And newborn nappy explosions are also quite special. The difference is they tend to only happen once a night, so you can probably manage with two mattress protectors (well, maybe three since you have twins!) until they start in childcare.

bonzo77 Mon 08-Jun-15 13:22:53

100%, at least 2-3. Because if the mattress gets soaked then you have to put them down on a wet mattress. Or turn over the mattress. The the other side gets soaked. Once wet the mattress takes ages to dry and will stink unless the spillage was just 100% plain water. I also suggest you use a folded towel between the sheet and the mattress protector. It can mean that the protector itself stays dry and there is less changing of beds in the middle of the night. And towels can be tumble dried, mattress protectors usually not.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Mon 08-Jun-15 13:39:09

Another useful tip - make the bed with mattress protector/sheet/mattress protector/sheet. Then a middle of the night change is easy, you don't need to remake the bed.

Artandco Mon 08-Jun-15 13:42:08

Yes get a few. Handy from newborn if sick/ wet. As older sick or toilet training at night you want it protected

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now