Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

mid sleeper cabin beds - worn out from researching them...

(11 Posts)
ratflavouredjelly Mon 30-Jan-12 00:20:38

Hello ladies
I am looking at a mid sleeper cabin bed for my DS (nearly 5). And would really appreciate any advice/stories/don't go there's! My sis in law advised me to get a bed with decent tread on the steps otherwise they can hurt their feet - therefore it looks like Ikea is out.

Have been considering Stompa, Steen and Scallywags. Any recommendations are soooooooooooooo welcome thanks

DownyEmerald Fri 03-Feb-12 21:32:27

I've literally just pressed the button on a Verona Maximus midsleeper here.

Wanted one that could be a den underneath, and also wanted flat steps on the ladder, and lots of looking and ended up with that one. Also thinks it looks ok. Bought it from these people as they were the most flexible as to which furniture bits wanted, otherwise it was everything or nothing.

Will let you know!

Kellamity Tue 07-Feb-12 16:54:34

How did you get on Downy? Were you impressed with the company and the bed? I am just about to buy a cabin be for DD but can't decide what to get her. I want to get her something that will last!

DownyEmerald Tue 07-Feb-12 21:58:57

Dunno yet! Delivery is within 14 days and they haven't been in touch yet to sort out a date. I'll let you know.

DownyEmerald Sat 25-Feb-12 17:05:38

Ok, well to update. Just spent a depressing afternoon and still depressed. Started to put it together today. Noticed that the design has changed from the picture on the website (and I don't think for the better) - it looks likes this now. But the white bits are not MDF as Verona say, they are sprayed white wood and we might have been unlucky but all our white bits are unacceptable and we will be asking for a replacement. The coating isn't thick enough so the finish is poor, and also there are great big gouges, scratches and chips.

So it throws everything out really - dd's b'day next weekend so won't be able to put it together cos party and rellies. Weekend after that other gps with who we have lots of visits and things planned so it's going to be weeks even if the company who sold it to us play ball and replace bits.

Of course we could just have been unlucky. sad. They have had good customer service so far.......

ANTagony Sat 25-Feb-12 17:15:58

My ds's have the idea mid sleeper. It's reversible to be a lower bed. They have never shown any signs of discomfort about the steps - they are a reasonable size. An alternative would be to get new steps with the ikea bed, maybe a rope ladder type with wide grip steps. I am a bit of an idea fan because the stuff can really last.

thisisyesterday Sat 25-Feb-12 17:20:16

We have 2 thuka beds and they're excellent
we originally had a shorty mid-sleeper for DS1, then we bought another shorty bed for DS2.
we've now just ordered the bunkbed kit so we can turn them into short bunks for DS2 and DS3.

They can also be turned into a highsleeper, and converted to a full length bed (in any combination)

they are not the lovliest looking beds, but they are SO versatile. very well made too, really sturdy.
you can have a sloping ladder, which we did. and you can get an extra kit that gives you a handrail and rubber treads for the steps

MrsKitty Sat 25-Feb-12 17:22:39

DS (5) has a Stompa. It's fab. Good quality, study, and with proper steps.

I was exceptionally lucky and found it on Ebay locally, just before I was about to order one brand new!

MrsKitty Sat 25-Feb-12 17:25:21

Should add - I also researched extensively, to the point that by the time I finally decided on what I wanted I couldn't stand the sight of the thing! grin. My research all seemed to point to Stompa being the best interms of build quality, step formation etc.

It is a good bed - DS loves playing in his 'den' underneath.

IronWoman007 Thu 05-Jul-12 20:50:10

Scallywag provides most colour choice, is very robust, wide ladder treads & very versatile. Starter bed converts to mid sleeper /high sleeper or bunk beds. You can even have an L shape bunk bed. Best of all it is made in the UK!
We have been delighted with ours.

VeronaDesignLtd Mon 12-Jan-15 10:24:33

Hello all,
I know this is a rather old thread, but since we are the manufacturer of the bed in the first reply, and we still get calls, I figured it would be a good idea to respond on behalf of Verona Design Ltd.
We are located in South Wales and manufacture all the products in our factory in Brazil. It is then flat packed and container shipped to the UK.
Unfortunately, because it is flat packed we do not always notice any faults, since it would mean unpacking and repacking every single item.
Usually this is not an issue, but as those things go, occasionally a fault gets overlooked before packing.
A customer will obviously not be pleased by this, and neither are we.
But we stand by our products and all our products come with a 5 year parts guarantee. Furthermore, should there be any issue, we will do our best to resolve it as soon as possible to the customers satisfaction.
We have been in business for nearly 20 years, and always strive to satisfy all of or customers.
So, should you purchase one of our products, either directly from us, or through one of our retail customers, and you do have an issue, please let us know and we'll try our hardest to resolve it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now