Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing cots and beds . If you want to buy or sell cots and beds, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Bed for 3.5 year old, mid-sleeper?

(10 Posts)
winklegirl Sat 13-Aug-11 22:33:47

We need to move our 3.5 year old DD out of her cot as our DS needs it (he's currently in travel cot as he's got too big/sitting up in crib), but are confused about what to get for her next. She has a very small room, so it would be great if we could get something like a mid-sleeper with storage/playspace underneath, but can't work out if this is suitable for her. The only safety guidance I can find seems to be for bunk beds. Does anyone have any advice on this? if a mid-sleeper isn't suitable is it better to go for a normal sized bed or is there any point in getting a toddler bed? Ta!

Gastonladybird Sat 13-Aug-11 22:37:20

What's a mid sleeper?

You can get beds that expand from toddler to normal I'm ikea so could expand it gradually and rearrange room as she gets older

winklegirl Sat 13-Aug-11 22:56:45

Thanks for your reply.

A mid sleeper is a bit like a bunk bed but not so high - safety advice I've found for bunk beds suggests not using for under 6 year olds, but haven't found anything for these beds which are lower.

Yes we were in Ikea today looking at these, but couldn't decide. not sure of real benefit of bed that starts short and gets longer? Is it just cosier for child? i guess it means we could have more storage in there to start with, but then we'd have to move it out when the bed was made longer....?

winklegirl Sat 13-Aug-11 22:59:21

Sorry meant to say that a mid-sleeper means you can fit drawers/desk/shelves etc underneath it - or can be used a playspace.

Here's an example: <http://www.thuka.co.uk/shop/catalog/maxi/midsleepers/Thuka_Maxi_9_White_Wash_Only_271_64.html>

These Thuka ones can also convert easily from single bed to midsleeper to bunk bed etc.

Gastonladybird Sun 14-Aug-11 17:14:54

Tricky - how much guard rail on the mid sleeper and could you put extra on? The ikea one has proved good in terms of transition from cot as it's cozy

piprabbit Sun 14-Aug-11 17:20:44

I would be tempted to find a cheap toddler bed, maybe even second hand. Then you can replace in a year or two without feeling too guilty.

My DS fell out of bed quite regularly when he came out of his cot, then he went through a phase of climbing out and sleeping on the floor for a while. His bed was only about 6 inches off the floor so he never did any damage, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable if he had any kind of steps to negotiate to get in or out.

winklegirl Sat 20-Aug-11 22:04:26

Sorry for delay in reply - family illness has disrupted things here at the moment.

Gastonladybird - they vary in the sort of rails that come on mid-sleepers. think we are moving away from this option - safety overcomes the storage issue. Though our DS is pretty sensible, she does at time like to jump about and jump off things at the gym, so even if she doesn't fall out, she may be tempted to jump off during the day

Thanks piprabbit, that sounds like really good advice. i hadn't thought about the height of these beds, only the length and so didn't really get why toddler beds might be of use.

LincolnBiscuit Sat 20-Aug-11 22:07:40

My DS had a (new) bunk bed and chose to sleep in the top bunk when he was shortly after three. It was his first big bed (had been in toddler bed before). He's now four and a bit hasn't fallen out of it yet.

winklegirl Mon 22-Aug-11 22:28:52

That's reassuring. Thanks for that.

bananamam Mon 22-Aug-11 22:32:45

My ds was in a midsleeler at 2.5. Dd in one just before she was 2 and she had been in a bed since 11 months. Never fallen out. Her room is small and she loves the space!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now