Page 2 | Breaking News Boris press conference tonight 14/05/21

(1000 Posts)
Whichjab Fri 14-May-21 12:54:37

So, is Monday under threat? Change to school masks or hugs?

OP’s posts: |
SonnetForSpring Fri 14-May-21 13:09:18

Onedropbeat

Obviously that’s in USA at the moment but being advised by CDC I wonder how long it would take for Uk to follow suit

That is to encourage people to get vaccinated. Many Republicans in US don't want to take the vaccine but hate the masks.

PicsInRed Fri 14-May-21 13:09:50

As soon as they allow masks off only for the fully vaccinated who can still contract and transmit the virus there will be a lot of "fully vaccinated" under 40s walking about.

I'll be one of them.

As PPs have said, I've been a good girl, but I'm done.

Horst Fri 14-May-21 13:10:04

I’d the vaccinated who could still pass on covid don’t have to wear masks nobody should.

Onedropbeat Fri 14-May-21 13:10:28

@SonnetForSpring thats true , should do the trick

Whichjab Fri 14-May-21 13:11:51

Onedropbeat

Obviously that’s in USA at the moment but being advised by CDC I wonder how long it would take for Uk to follow suit

But in the USA there has been a different distribution of vaccination, young people have had it there isn't the same age divide that there is in the UK.

I have friends and family in the leisure trade, they have ordered non refundable perishables for a full booked next week. They are worried.

OP’s posts: |
MrsMonet Fri 14-May-21 13:12:15

I can't believe that there are people on here that think that after 5 MONTHS (in England) of closures, we still shouldn't open restaurants, bars, museums etc on Monday. Do you honestly want to be locked down forever?

Advertisement

SlipperyDippery Fri 14-May-21 13:12:50

happyface42

Predicted this would happen. Who are we now protecting now the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated? We are destroying our children's lives and what for now? The vaccine was out ticket out of this mess and if that won't 'protect' us what will? We have no other option but to get on with life now as carefully as we can but I refuse to lock myself or my children away again. I realise he hasn't come out and said we are going back into lockdown but that's what will be next because this virus isn't going away.

I agree, if a new strain has come up before we even managed to come out of the last lockdown, then what does this mean for the future? It isn’t sustainable to do this every time a new strain appears given his frequently variants of concern seem to arise.

Shouldn’t we wait to see if there’s an increase of hospitalisations first?

I hope he is announcing surge testing and vaccines in affected areas. He cannot possibly be cruel enough to prevent Monday happening; to prevent hospitality opening on Monday after the way those businesses have suffered and are on their last legs, to prevent family members meeting after months and months of no meeting indoors allowed (outdoors simply isn’t feasible for some)...

Rethinking June 21st and saying we have to look at the data as to hospitalisations in a few weeks would be reasonable. To remove Monday’s carrot that’s currently being dangled at such short notice after we have all complied so well in the promise the vaccines were our way out - no way.

AlmostSummer21 Fri 14-May-21 13:13:16

*The vulnerable are no longer at risk.
Restrictions can no longer be justified. If people want to stay locked up and wear mask etc. let that be personal choice. The rest of us want to get on with our lives*

15 months on you'd think people would understand more about how a virus spreads, but no, this shite still being peddled. Infecting OTHERS is NOT 'a personal choice'

FFS

SlipperyDippery Fri 14-May-21 13:13:28

*how frequently sorry

SonnetForSpring Fri 14-May-21 13:13:47

MrsMonet

I can't believe that there are people on here that think that after 5 MONTHS (in England) of closures, we still shouldn't open restaurants, bars, museums etc on Monday. Do you honestly want to be locked down forever?

Where does "want" come into it? Does anyone want to live with covid? I very much doubt it.

ComDummings Fri 14-May-21 13:14:18

I really REALLY hope this is just to do with surge testing in variant areas and ramping up vaccine appts in those areas 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻 and nothing negative.

SonnetForSpring Fri 14-May-21 13:15:16

If action is not taken now, there I'll be another full lock.down at some point. I'd much rather action now. Obviously, I'm in the minority.

Beebityboo Fri 14-May-21 13:15:38

This constant uncertainty is taking such a toll on my mental health sad. Mondays restriction lifting won't be cancelled will it?

ConfusedDotty Fri 14-May-21 13:16:06

Please no, origami strain? What fresh new hell is this new variant.

I have had enough.

Pootle40 Fri 14-May-21 13:17:40

Hope there is no change to easing - let's just push on. See America saying no masks for the fully vaccinated. Let's look forward to that day coming.

AlmostSummer21 Fri 14-May-21 13:17:51

MrsMonet

Except that's not what we're saying.

Our under 40's (the MOST sociable) aren't vaccinated, we haven't YET broken enough lines of transmission.

A few more weeks/months is NOT 'forever'.
We were doing so well, why spoil it all now???

Pootle40 Fri 14-May-21 13:18:29

MrsMonet

^This.

SlipperyDippery Fri 14-May-21 13:18:52

SonnetForSpring

If action is not taken now, there I'll be another full lock.down at some point. I'd much rather action now. Obviously, I'm in the minority.

How do you know? Where’s the data on how this has affected hospitalisations?

I’m not saying let’s wait till theres 60k cases a day and surge ICU capacity is full before taking action. But we should wait until we know how necessary it is to re-lockdown.

The lockdown has been brutal on the most socio-economically vulnerable and we haven’t seen the worst of it yet. It has been emotionally exhausting for most of us. Surely you see the compelling need to start opening up unless there is irrefutable evidence that the NHS will crumble imminently?

Importantly, is it your expectation we lockdown/stay locked down every time a variant of concern emerges?7

SamW98 Fri 14-May-21 13:19:25

MrsMonet

Totally agree. Monday's lifting of restrictions still needs to happen. We need to start to live again

If it means surge testing, vaccination priorities being changed and local lockdowns then that's what's needed but the role country can't be shut down again

Imagine if they had only shut the borders and stopped the variants being flown in

espresso14 Fri 14-May-21 13:19:53

A return to Tiers rather than complete nationwide lifting? And when I say nation, it seems BJ is only PM of England these days.

knittingaddict Fri 14-May-21 13:20:31

Onedropbeat

This is the link about no more masks for the fully vaccinated www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-plans-drop-mask-requirements-fully-vaccinated-people-n1267249

Don't think that's terribly relevant to the UK.

palacegirl77 Fri 14-May-21 13:20:41

superspreader

The vaccines do not work as well against the Indian strain. we have to be careful releasing lockdown. vaccinated people are getting it, here and in India

Thats false news. They do NOT know yet whether it will work as well or not. The vaccine has worked well in prevented bad illness against the SA and Kent strains and theyre optimistic this will be no different - im not saying it will or wont as they do not know!

Pootle40 Fri 14-May-21 13:21:33

I JUST wanted to TYPE something in CAPITALS FFS

AlmostSummer21 Fri 14-May-21 13:21:49

SonnetForSpring

Hopefully the people that count will, at some stage, 'learn from their mistakes' and get on board with this logic!!

I really don't understand why people STILL think we can just let the virus 'do it's thing'

KurtWilde Fri 14-May-21 13:21:55

Really don't care what he has to say, my roadmap stays in place. It was Eid where I live and there were massive parties, streams of people coming in and out of each other's houses and cars full turning up. If that's ok then hugging my fully vaccinated mum is ok. Boris can fuck off.

This thread is not accepting new messages.