Talk

Advanced search

Erm....Boris WTF are you talking about?!

(184 Posts)
PopcornandPretzels Mon 08-Mar-21 16:55:31

Hi,

I'm watching the Coronavirus briefing and I can't believe what I'm hearing!

Boris was saying that we saw what happened with other countries, we haven't been far behind in terms of a second wave, we've seen this before etc, as though we all know where this is heading, I.e, a 3rd wave!

He's talking as though this is inevitable! Have I missed something? Have vaccines been announced as useless?

These countries that he's talking about, the ones which we have always "followed in the past", don't have a vaccination programme like ours, so why is he speaking like this?

I feel really angry. He will have scared a lot of people talking like this.

OP’s posts: |
Everleigh2021 Mon 08-Mar-21 16:57:37

the vaccine doesn't mean the end of covid though.....doesnt it just lesson effects? and with no guarantee regarding new strains

x2boys Mon 08-Mar-21 17:01:44

Admittedly I didn't watch it all ,but from what I saw he said we are at the stage we were at at the end of last September ,and we could easily have a third wave if we we take our eyes off the ball etc ,not that we will .

Dolciedolly Mon 08-Mar-21 17:04:49

He didn't even say that did he ? He is being cautious!

SonnetForSpring Mon 08-Mar-21 17:08:12

If everyone stops following the rules from today, there will be another wave. That's why we have a roadmap with 5 week gaps, to monitor the situation and proceed accordingly.

Sleepyquest Mon 08-Mar-21 17:09:08

I thought this was the third wave. I have lost the plot

SeasonFinale Mon 08-Mar-21 17:09:49

You probably want to rewatch a video of the briefing. You have misunderstood what he said.

PopcornandPretzels Mon 08-Mar-21 17:10:37

@x2boys, I appreciate he didn't say we definitely will, but if you're looking at a pattern and using it as an example as what could happen, because it happened before, surely the example isn't an accurate one if we're in a completely different position to these countries now.

grammarwoes Mon 08-Mar-21 17:15:34

A scientist friend said a few weeks ago that there is very strong evidence to suggest that we will see a new wave over the summer if everyone relaxes the rules too quickly (which is highly likely given how fed up everyone is)..

DareIask Mon 08-Mar-21 17:15:35

I heard him trying to stress the fact that we're not out of the woods quite yet and need to continue being cautious.

All true.

PopcornandPretzels Mon 08-Mar-21 17:16:18

@SonnetForSpring, it didn't feel like that was his message at all to me. It felt like he was saying that given we are now starting to come out of lockdown, we need to be realistic that another wave could easily be on it's way, rather than us completely disregarding the rules.

the80sweregreat Mon 08-Mar-21 17:17:58

I missed it today.

TimeForLunch Mon 08-Mar-21 17:19:52

I didn't see the briefing so don't know what he said but could it mean a third wave in terms of cases only? Given the success of our vaccination programme, cases will hopefully not lead to many hospitalisations.

herecomesthsun Mon 08-Mar-21 17:20:34

We still have a lot of unvaccinated people. Even the people who have been vaccinated only had one dose.

The 1 dose does make it very unlikely that people will be hospitalised and we are hoping that deaths will be very unlikely. Someone posted the other day that there were no deaths in the vaccine trials of people who have had a vaccine.

However, if we just went back to normal life right at this point, we would get exponential growth of cases again; we would see hospitalisations rise again; and there would be a risk of people dying.

I didn't see the briefing, I will read the transcript in due course if I can find it.

PopcornandPretzels Mon 08-Mar-21 17:29:12

@TimeForLunch, yes, I did wonder if that's what he meant, but he needed to make this clear. I'm all for a strong message of caution at this stage, but don't deliberately and strategically leave out key bits of information to keep us compliant/terrified.

MarshaBradyo Mon 08-Mar-21 17:30:43

I’ve been missing these lately

LunaHeather Mon 08-Mar-21 17:35:39

PopcornandPretzels

**@SonnetForSpring**, it didn't feel like that was his message at all to me. It felt like he was saying that given we are now starting to come out of lockdown, we need to be realistic that another wave could easily be on it's way, rather than us completely disregarding the rules.

I haven't seen the briefing

But what you were expecting! I'm still stunned by people's view on this.

lightand Mon 08-Mar-21 17:35:56

If there is to be another wave/lockdown, just about all the elderly that I know will be very surprised!
They all[and I think it is all amongst the ones I know] think things are A ok now, now they have had even the 1 vaccine.
I go to open my mouth to speak, and think better of it.

PrincessNutNuts Mon 08-Mar-21 17:39:02

OP Most people haven't any vaccine yet, about 31% have had 1 and about 1% are as well protected as possible with both.

But that's still not 100% protection fir anybody.

The vaccines are amazing and they will help tremendously, but not that much at the moment when most people haven't had one.

The Israelis seem to think the protection of the herd immunity threshold will be achieved at 90% fully vaccinated.

We have 1% fully vaccinated and 31% with their first dose.

There is a long way to go and some of us question the wisdom of opening up this early in the vaccine programme.

PopcornandPretzels Mon 08-Mar-21 17:41:48

@LunaHeather, sorry, I'm not sure what you mean..

MarshaBradyo Mon 08-Mar-21 17:42:21

SeasonFinale

You probably want to rewatch a video of the briefing. You have misunderstood what he said.

Season what do you think?

I missed it

peak2021 Mon 08-Mar-21 17:44:05

I didn't see the briefing.

However, it would be good of Mr Johnson to set an example, by wearing a face covering until he arrives at the podium, and not taking trips out of London which seem to be for PR purposes more than essential work trips.

PrincessNutNuts Mon 08-Mar-21 17:44:06

lightand

If there is to be another wave/lockdown, just about all the elderly that I know will be very surprised!
They all[and I think it is all amongst the ones I know] think things are A ok now, now they have had even the 1 vaccine.
I go to open my mouth to speak, and think better of it.

The vaccine rollout has been super hyped as the answer to all our problems.

You barely hear a peep about the 60,000 British people who have died of covid since we began vaccinating.

So I don't blame anyone who thinks the vaccines are a magic bullet. They've been led along that garden path to divert attention from all the death.

We'll hit 150,000 covid deaths in the next 8 days. Possibly even tomorrow. I bet we don't hear a peep about it.

IceCreamAndCandyfloss Mon 08-Mar-21 17:46:20

It’s not hard to see a third wave being a possibility in reality.

Large group gatherings start again today, many of the parents and staff won’t be vaccinated and we know many cases the child is the index case.

Add to that all those that aren’t bothering following the rules as claim they have had enough, see no point when schools are open etc and the virus has the chance and opportunity to spread again.

Vaccines help stop severe cases but there are still many many millions unvaccinated.

RoseWineTime Mon 08-Mar-21 17:48:57

Just checked the dashboard and deaths are 124,566 do no idea where you are getting that info from PrincesNutNuts?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in