Talk

Advanced search

Prime Minister to make an announcement tonight at 5 p.m.

(500 Posts)
Calmandmeasured1 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:14:40

The Express reports:
"No indication has been given as to why the briefing has suddenly been called, however, it comes less than 24 hours after false reports in the German media caused alarm by claiming the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine was ineffective among over-65s."

It could also be to make the announcement about hotel quarantining for those entering the country. I would imagine both subjects.

OP’s posts: |
Calmandmeasured1 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:39:19

BBC1.

PatsyStone39 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:46:04

Hopefully he's following the Italian PM and resigning!

SnowFields Tue 26-Jan-21 14:47:16

I think you are right that it will be both subjects. The last thing the country needs is for more concerns over the vaccines as they are our best hope of getting through this.

NastyBlouse Tue 26-Jan-21 14:49:17

PatsyStone39

Hopefully he's following the Italian PM and resigning!

I like your optimism!

LacyEdge Tue 26-Jan-21 14:50:17

“Okay folks—I’ve given it my best shot, but alas I must tell you that I am incapable of running a country. I am therefore handing the reins to a government of national unity and shall sally forth unto a Tuscan villa post haste. Toodle-pip.”

SnowFields Tue 26-Jan-21 14:50:40

We did get told when we went into this lockdown that we would get more regular talks again, like we did during the first lockdown.

MNnicknameforCVthreads Tue 26-Jan-21 14:52:43

SnowFields

We did get told when we went into this lockdown that we would get more regular talks again, like we did during the first lockdown.

Indeed. Isn't this just a briefing rather than an "announcement" per se? Although there could be announcements thrown in as well.

PatsyStone39 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:53:45

@NastyBlouse I've been manifesting it in my head all day. That and a lottery win.

Blacktothepink Tue 26-Jan-21 14:54:22

Boris Bingo grin

anniegun Tue 26-Jan-21 14:55:26

Just check Robert Peston's twitter before 5pm and get an early heads-up . It saves having to sit through the waffling and question dodging

Forgothowmuchlhatehomeschoolin Tue 26-Jan-21 14:58:34

Think l will watch the Chase instead l think -learn more on that!

Calmandmeasured1 Tue 26-Jan-21 15:04:18

Isn't this just a briefing rather than an "announcement" per se?
It is stated to be "a major address":

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1389206/boris-johnson-press-conference-downing-street-coronavirus-update-covid19-uk

BountyFul Tue 26-Jan-21 15:08:42

Their plan:
1. Tell everyone lockdown will never end - done
2. Hint schools won’t be going back until 2090 - done
3. Whip everyone up over a new strain and vaccine efficacy - done
4. Roll out Boris to save the day and state none of the above is true, if feeling frisky mention something about foreigners bringing covid into the country - tonight 5pm

GreatSoprendo Tue 26-Jan-21 15:10:57

Extending lockdown to 5th March to match Ireland perhaps...?
As well as quarantine hotels announcement?

bathsh3ba Tue 26-Jan-21 15:16:22

Could it be the schools announcement (ie not opening after half term)? Or quarantine hotels?

JiminyLeeCricket Tue 26-Jan-21 15:17:35

If it's going to be All About The Jeeermans I'd like Stan Boardman to get the lecturn where Sir Patrick usually stands.

With perhaps Boris Johnson flanked at the other lecturn by Basil Fawlty to discuss both hotel quarantine and WW2, as a treat for the Daily Express readers.

ImsorryWilson Tue 26-Jan-21 15:22:20

"if feeling frisky" smile

ImsorryWilson Tue 26-Jan-21 15:23:00

I shall name them

Boris and the Bandaids

a good top of the pops name.

GetOffYourHighHorse Tue 26-Jan-21 15:25:31

'Isn't this just a briefing rather than an "announcement" per se? Although there could be announcements thrown in as well.'

Yes we've been having fairly regular 5pm press conferences whilst in lockdown.

Crazycatlady83 Tue 26-Jan-21 15:26:56

LacyEdge

“Okay folks—I’ve given it my best shot, but alas I must tell you that I am incapable of running a country. I am therefore handing the reins to a government of national unity and shall sally forth unto a Tuscan villa post haste. Toodle-pip.”

That would be the best briefing of the entire century!

Alas I think it will merely be to tell us plebs off for constantly breaking “the roolz” and how we make nurses cry by our complete and utter disregard for our next door neighbour’s granny.

GreatSoprendo Tue 26-Jan-21 15:27:43

I feel sure I read the other day that the regular briefings are every Monday and Thursday, and only in between if there is something of particular urgency. Could be wrong though.

whoamitojudge Tue 26-Jan-21 15:28:04

I thought that all big announcements were done at 8pm?

Incyra Tue 26-Jan-21 15:28:14

Isn't it just a daily press briefing. Haven't seen he is making an announcement in particular

StealthPolarBear Tue 26-Jan-21 15:29:24

Don't they need to review the lockdown arrangements every three weeks? Might it be the outcome of the first one of those?
Or are they no longer reviewing every three weeks?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in