Talk

Advanced search

Page 14 | Obese people to get the vaccine before healthy 50 year olds.

(332 Posts)
Sb2012 Fri 27-Nov-20 22:09:01

Just something that came through in a newsfeed. Don’t know how accurate. Headline said “ Obese people to get the vaccine before healthy 50 year olds.”
What are your thoughts on this? I’m not sure how I feel tbh. I guess it’s proven that obese people are at a higher risk.
However, what about the under 50 healthy BMI teachers, supermarket workers etc I don’t think it is fair to prioritise an obese 40 year old who works from home or doesn’t work at all over a normal BMI 40 year old teacher, supermarket worker or taxi driver

OP’s posts: |
Feministicon Sat 28-Nov-20 12:54:45

Kakiweewee

38 and still obese here. I've lost 73lbs since March so I'm trying to do something about it, in part because of Covid being a wake-up call although I'd started weightloss before lockdown. I'd like to be treated like all the other high-risk groups.

Well done, that’s awesome!

Feministicon Sat 28-Nov-20 12:59:55

What am I missing? I thought we wanted the people most liable to die to be vaccinated first?

WotsitWiggle Sat 28-Nov-20 13:17:54

OP, you seem to think life won't return to normal until YOU'VE had the vaccine. That isn't the case. Once the most vulnerable have been vaccinated, so the risk of dying diminishes, then restrictions can start to be lifted for everyone.

Covid will still be around, people will still get sick but most will be at home for a week, then recover. Much the same as flu - the vulnerable get vaccinated, the rest get on with it. And I expect once production of the vaccine steps up, there'll be a market to get it privately too, should you wish.

Baws Sat 28-Nov-20 19:46:28

Absolutely disgusting views OP! There are very few obese people who have gained weight just due to fancying a few extra treats! Maybe you should try to educating yourself on eating disorders, the effects of medication on diet, mental illness and the many medical conditions that affect the metabolism.

Mumisnotmyonlyname Sat 28-Nov-20 21:48:28

I'm not obese. But I bloody well hope that people who are do go first.

The point about clinical risk and NHS admission affects EVERYONE. Because the more at risk people get cv, the more hospitals fill up, and therefore delay treatment for others. That causes increased deaths all round, and could affect every slim person on here (and everyone else, too).

We are all in this together, remember.

Mumisnotmyonlyname Sat 28-Nov-20 21:48:50

And we must act as a team.

Stellaris22 Sat 28-Nov-20 22:02:07

OP, why do you assume you pay more tax than someone who is obese? Or do you think all obese people are lazy and on benefits?

Disgusting assumption.

It is an eating disorder and a mental illness. Would you have the same view of someone who suffers from bulimia or anorexia? These are eating disorders but you just enjoy being nasty.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in