Bollocks, just realised I had a change to sense of smell last week - too late to test now?

(4 Posts)
BoobsOnTheMoon Thu 19-Nov-20 06:18:55

About 10 days ago I had a headache and felt groggy/dizzy for a day, which I put down to a hangover blush and thought no more about.

Then about 7 days ago I became somewhat obsessed with a faint but unpleasant smell in the kitchen. Like a festering dishcloth, kind of sweetish but rank and stale. After a few days it turned out to be the new "cherry bakewell" instant coffee that my teenager had bought - they held the open jar under my nose and I actually retched. I panicked about possibly being pregnant and did a pregnancy test the next morning, but negative.

Anyway teenager said they'd avoid drinking it while I was in the room and I forgot about it. But last night I went in the kitchen quite late, and there was a lovely smell like cherries and almonds. Asked teenager what it was and they gave me the hmm face because it was only the bloody cherry bakewell coffee!! Which now smells delicious.

I've just twigged overnight that this was probably a change to my sense of taste (definitely not caused by pregnancy, my period has since arrived). But it was a week ago!

Other than this I'm fine apart from usual allergic rhinitis symptoms but I have them year round and it's controlled as long as I remember to take antihistamines. So it's possible this has masked any very minor cold symptoms but at no point have I had a fever etc. I didn't connect the coffee smell as being a change in my sense of smell because I'd never smelt the coffee before so assumed I just didn't like the smell - it wasn't until I smelled it again and realised it was actually rather nice that my previous reaction started to look suspicious confused

Worth getting a test a week later? I'd have to lie and say I still had symptoms which I don't.

OP’s posts: |
Trousersareoverrated Thu 19-Nov-20 06:55:23

Was it the brewed coffee you were smelling vs the unmade granules? Sniff the jar again

BoobsOnTheMoon Thu 19-Nov-20 07:10:07

I've sniffed the jar again this morning and it smells fine. Like sweet cherries and almonds. I mean I wouldn't drink it, I don't particularly like the smell, but the smell is nothing like what it was last week. Last week when I sniffed inside the jar it genuinely made me retch, it smelled putrid to me.

OP’s posts: |
FallenSky Thu 19-Nov-20 07:14:01

I think you need to get the test within 8 days of having symptoms. Although am I reading correctly that you only had a change in smell for one day? Anecdotally, the people I know who had that symptom and were positive had it for a week or two at least.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in