Only just got shielding letter!

(5 Posts)
bex758 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:06:08

So I'm pregnant and have congenital heart condition I asked my doctors at the start at the month whether I needed to shield to be told no, just had it through, I have been going to work as normal in retail etc for the last two weeks and I'm worried about being on ssp as it won't cover the rent or bills next month! I wasn't expecting to be in the shielding category!

OP’s posts: |
HoneyBee03 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:55:18

If your doctor said you won't need to shield perhaps the letter was sent out automatically? I've heard of a few people speaking to their GP after getting a letter to be told they can ignore it. It's also only guidance, so you can continue working if you're happy to/need to.

Poppystars Wed 18-Nov-20 17:59:44

If advised to shield, it is only until 2/12 currently due to lockdown.
But is advise not a rule.

bex758 Wed 18-Nov-20 20:45:17

So after messaging my employer as I'm retail so can't work from home, I have been told to come into work at normal, which surprised me, as the letter while guidance does say if you can't work from home don't go into work!

OP’s posts: |
majesticallyawkward Wed 18-Nov-20 20:51:50

As PPs have said, it's guidance not a command so you can carry on working if you want to. If you choose to shield until 2/12 you will have to discuss it with your employer formally, ask what their policy is (or what has been done for any other shielding people) and be prepared for it to be SSP or UC but you could qualify for furlough.

Have a look at the official guidance here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in