Asthmatics who were positive? Did you wheeze?

(17 Posts)
3littlewords Mon 16-Nov-20 20:30:09

I have mild/moderate asthma. Daily steroid inhaler and a ventolin inhaler to use as and when. My asthma is largely triggered off by allergies like dust,pollen, paint, pet hair and a change in the weather.
I've become a bit breathless, I'm wheezing a lot although the inhaler does help, I'm sneezing a lot and coughing like I've got a dislodged lung and bringing up dark green phlegm ( sorry for the TMI but asthmatics will understand). What I'm experiencing now feels exactly the same as every other coughing asthmatic episode I've had in my 40 years. This is nothing unusual for me personally but I'm aware I sound like a prime covid candidate to anyone else. I have no fever or loss of taste and smell.
Fellow asthmatics that have tested positive, was your cough different to what is normal for you and did you get the asthmatics wheeze along with it? Should I be testing?

OP’s posts: |
Bubblemonkey Mon 16-Nov-20 21:00:00

If you’re coughing up green shite, I suspect you’ve probably got a chest infection.

Chasingpandas Mon 16-Nov-20 21:28:03

If you’ve got a new cough you need to isolate and get a test.

PrivateD00r Mon 16-Nov-20 21:43:26

My first symptom was feeling like someone was sitting on my chest! I only got wheezy after pneumonia set in on day 8.

3littlewords Mon 16-Nov-20 21:52:03

PrivateD00r

My first symptom was feeling like someone was sitting on my chest! I only got wheezy after pneumonia set in on day 8.

I have been wheezing before the cough started completely normal for me at any other time, my DF has always commented from being a baby about how much and how bad my coughing can get

Porcupineinwaiting Mon 16-Nov-20 21:59:12

I already had a cold when I got covid so it's a bit hard to know what's what, but what I remember most was my blue inhaler didnt help with the breathlessness, where as usually it would be a lifesaver. The cough was very much in my throat to start although it moved south in the second week.

It sounds like you have a chest infection but that's no reason youshouldnttest as well. In fact your doctor will probably insist on it.

Storyofcats Mon 16-Nov-20 23:36:27

Yes I did wheeze but had other chest symptoms not typical for me-chest pain, shortness of breath etc. I did initially think it was an asthma flare but it developed over the course of a few days where it became clear it wasnt.

Advertisement

LizzieAnt Tue 17-Nov-20 00:53:43

It's impossible to say whether it's Covid or some other virus causing your symptoms - you need to get a test.

3littlewords Tue 17-Nov-20 07:19:57

I have a test booked for today. I dont want to keep having tests if I can help it. People who don't normally cough who then do develop one know its a potential sign but when you are always coughing anyway it can be confusing as this is normal for us.

WorriedNHSer Tue 17-Nov-20 07:23:23

I’m asthmatic and had some lung crackles when I had COVID so was given antibiotics. I felt no asthmatic involvement at all. The breathlessness was completely different. I had no wheeze. It was very strange as normally if I get a bad cold I often end up with an asthma exacerbation on top.

TrashedMammoth Tue 17-Nov-20 07:37:10

It honestly sounds like a bacterial infection and like one I had that came on v quickly recently.

However I couldn't justify risking others (teacher) based on the fact it's normal for me to cough a lot with infections, and so got a test. Luckily it was a day off for me anyway and negative.

The thing is with Covid and asthma is from reading threads a lot of people seem to react differently. It doesn't sound like it but if you're in contact with others a lot, i wouldn't take that risk.

TrashedMammoth Tue 17-Nov-20 07:38:28

Fingers crossed you're clear.

YukoandHiro Tue 17-Nov-20 07:39:10

Get a test

5zeds Tue 17-Nov-20 07:44:24

I dont want to keep having tests if I can help it. nobody does, but it’s unavoidable as you have a condition that shares symptoms with a deadly virus.

3littlewords Wed 18-Nov-20 17:40:43

Test was negative.

Many need to get a big badge saying "I'm negative " on for when I'm on the school run or in Asda coughing my head off grin

BatleyTownswomensGuild Wed 18-Nov-20 18:02:06

My asthmatic husband had COVID and had no coughing and chest issues at all.

I've never had issues with my chest in my life. I caught COVID and 5 weeks later I'm still having to use an inhaler.

Go figure. It's a very random and unpredictable illness.

LizzieAnt Wed 18-Nov-20 18:44:14

Glad to hear it was negative smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in