Do you think my holiday will get cancelled?

(21 Posts)
Waxonwaxoff0 Mon 16-Nov-20 19:46:23

I've booked a package with BA for February half term (booked this pre Covid). I don't want to go at the moment. I could move it but I would have to pay admin fees, or I could hang on and see if it gets cancelled. The country is on the quarantine list currently. I think it will be cancelled personally, what does everyone else think? I know no one knows for sure!

OP’s posts: |
Wakemeuuuup Mon 16-Nov-20 19:51:47

I think it will be cancelled I'm afraid

Joynot Mon 16-Nov-20 19:53:13

What country is it? They are opening up corridors as the numbers get better in different countries. They could have tests at airports by then

Chasingpandas Mon 16-Nov-20 19:53:18

Unless that country is in lockdown I don’t think it’ll be cancelled. Quarantine is set to be cut for travelling so it will allow more people to travel and more flights to run. If it’s somewhere remote there may be more chance then if it’s a popular holiday location though.

NaughtipussMaximus Mon 16-Nov-20 19:56:32

I don’t know. If you’d said it was booked for December, I’d have said it has a good chance of being cancelled. But who know what three months will bring?

Waxonwaxoff0 Mon 16-Nov-20 19:58:19

It's the Bahamas. The problem is I cannot quarantine as I can't work from home and DS has school. I'd rather it just got cancelled!

OP’s posts: |
Ilikewinter Mon 16-Nov-20 20:10:08

Hummm tricky one but im leaning towards it will go ahead with conditions attached - either you'll need to have a covid test prior to travel or maybe need to be vaccinated (less likely for February but i reckon it will be later in the year).
If you definately dont want to go id pay the fees and move it.


notimagain Mon 16-Nov-20 20:13:19

It's too soon to would help if we knew which country but appreciate that might be "outing".

Until the UK government stopped overseas holiday travel on 4th (?) Nov BA were operating a very limited but slowly increasing number of flights not just to non-quarantine destinations but also to/from countries that did require quarantine on return.. (e.g; one or two places in the Caribbean).

Once/if that ban is lifted you should start to get more of a feel for what BA are going to do and what the chances are of the holiday...and as others have said there's just a glimmer of hope some form of improved testing might have been introduced that might change things.

notimagain Mon 16-Nov-20 20:32:14

Ah... having posted my previous I've just seen your comment about it being the Bahamas.

I think that LHR-Nassau- Grand Cayman and return was indeed one of the routes BA were very close to reinstating late summer/early Autumn, but I'm not sure how it all worked out in reality because of restrictions on entering the Bahamas... It certainly looks like a route BA would be keen to get up and running again so they may not cancel it if the UK outbound restrictions get lifted.

Frazzled2207 Mon 16-Nov-20 20:36:05

even if there is no need to quarantine on return I'd be wondering if places like the Bahamas would actually let anyone in at the moment.
I know some countries are doing on testing on arrival etc now which helps but I wouldn't want to run the risk of being put in some quarantine facility.

notimagain Tue 17-Nov-20 06:30:57

even if there is no need to quarantine on return I'd be wondering if places like the Bahamas would actually let anyone in at the moment.

A few other places further to the south west in the Caribbean, who are heavily dependent on the Tourist Dollar/Euro/pound have similar types of entry schemes.

CeeceeBloomingdale Tue 17-Nov-20 06:33:35

It's just too early to say. It's a case of waiting to see what happens. If it's not cancelled they might give you a credit

CeeceeBloomingdale Tue 17-Nov-20 06:35:04

Ba book less than a year in advance though, so you must have booked it knowing about Covid, not pre covid?

Monkeytapper Tue 17-Nov-20 06:43:40

Are you sure you can’t amend it free of charge?, I know Jet2 are letting people amend their holidays FOC if it’s over 70 days away? Under that time frame there is an admin fee which is more expensive the closer it gets to departure.
Double check your T&C’s as I think many tour operators are now more flexible with people who are unsure about wanting to go ahead with their holidays whilst it’s so uncertain.

notimagain Tue 17-Nov-20 06:47:53

Ba book less than a year in advance though, so you must have booked it knowing about Covid, not pre covid?

Question is when did Covid begin?

BA's schedule didn't really start to take a significant hit to some destinations until mid March, with widespread cancellations starting right at the end of that month so using their calendar a booking done in Feb/early March 2020 could genuinely have been done pre-Covid...

Waxonwaxoff0 Tue 17-Nov-20 06:49:15

@CeeceeBloomingdale I did know about Covid but it was early days, naively I thought it would all be over by now as I'm sure quite a few people did.

The problem now is I can move it but I can only move it as far as October, I don't want to go at that time of year as it's hurricane season. Ugh, wish I'd never booked now.

They are allowing tourists now with a negative Covid test. I'd be happy to go if I didn't have to quarantine on return.

OP’s posts: |
Monkeytapper Tue 17-Nov-20 06:53:00

Can you move it to a different destination instead?

CeeceeBloomingdale Tue 17-Nov-20 06:56:45

I'd just wait and see if they extend the voucher policy which has happened regularly. Vouchers can be used for travel until April 2022. Or hold out to see if they cancel the flights. I doubt they will be looking so far ahead just yet.

notimagain Tue 17-Nov-20 08:01:45

I doubt they will be looking so far ahead just yet.

Might be clues in a month or so, i.e. in mid/late December, if the UK lockdown and especially the ban on foreign leisure travel gets dropped.

I'd imagine BA will definitely be keen to get back into Grand Cayman...whether the flight will start going via Nassau again (that was the usual route) we will see .

Martinisarebetterdirty Tue 17-Nov-20 08:06:16

We had the same - we’d booked a lovely long haul trip of a lifetime pre Covid for this November (next week!), called BA to see what if any options we had before paying the balance and they said we could move it or change it for no fee, even to a weekend in Edinburgh. You can change destination to somewhere you might like to go that it much cheaper and at a better time - of course then we were locked down and our new trip was cancelled anyway, but this option wasn’t anywhere on their website.

darnedifyoudont Tue 17-Nov-20 08:09:40

We've booked The Bahamas in April, rescheduled from this year and I'm hopeful we'll make it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in