Can you travel from Canada for a funeral?

(14 Posts)
notevenat20 Sun 15-Nov-20 11:17:22

My friend's grandfather has just died. The funeral will be in Wales and my friend lives in Canada. Canada is not on the travel corridor list. Can he still come back especially for the funeral or would he have to quarantine for 14 days first (which would mean he would miss the funeral)?

OP’s posts: |
Nootkah Sun 15-Nov-20 11:28:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notevenat20 Sun 15-Nov-20 12:06:17

Is this, about France, just wrong then ? www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-lockdown-Can-I-travel-back-to-the-UK-for-a-funeral

LawnFever Sun 15-Nov-20 12:08:37

That’s about travelling from France to UK, not Canada to the UK so it doesn’t matter what it says

notevenat20 Sun 15-Nov-20 12:08:46

I also saw this

"It is a legal offence for a person who is required to self-isolate to attend a funeral under any circumstance other than the funeral of a close family member (for example, a spouse, parent, sibling or grandparent)."

This made me wonder if it might be legal to attend your grandparents funeral even if you are quarantining.

satnighttakeaway Sun 15-Nov-20 12:12:02

notevenat20

I also saw this

"It is a legal offence for a person who is required to self-isolate to attend a funeral under any circumstance other than the funeral of a close family member (for example, a spouse, parent, sibling or grandparent)."

This made me wonder if it might be legal to attend your grandparents funeral even if you are quarantining.

Self isolating and quarantine because of travel aren't the same thing are they? I'm not sure that would apply

notevenat20 Sun 15-Nov-20 12:12:25

@LawnFever Neither France nor Canada are in a travel corridor according to www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors. Are the rules different?

Advertisement

notevenat20 Sun 15-Nov-20 12:13:11

@satnighttakeaway That's my problem. I am not sure either. I was hoping an expert might know.

TheTeenageYears Sun 15-Nov-20 12:21:10

I think the rules on this might be different for Wales than England. Check the gov.wales info

Hayeahnobut Sun 15-Nov-20 12:34:17

Here is the law for Wales. He would need to isolate, but would be permitted to leave the house solely to attend the funeral, then back into isolation until he leaves.

www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2020/574/regulation/10

So he can travel and attend the funeral, but whether he should is another matter. The risks of travelling and mixing, added to how miserable it will be to sit in a room on his own for the rest of his visit.

Hayeahnobut Sun 15-Nov-20 12:36:32

Also note that the exemption is solely for the funeral, he would not be permitted to attend the wake.

InTheLongGrass Sun 15-Nov-20 12:45:30

I think you can leave quarantine for a funeral (and then to return to the airport to fly back to Canada before 14 days are up), and Age UK agrees with me. Might gecworth searching Gov.uk carefully for the most up to date info - especially due to the current lockdown.

Hayeahnobut Sun 15-Nov-20 12:55:28

especially due to the current lockdown.

Wales is not in lockdown.

LadySlipper Sun 15-Nov-20 13:25:59

and he would have to quarantine for 14 days on his return to Canada.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in