Talk

Advanced search

Covid drive-through test

(13 Posts)
RubyTrees Sat 14-Nov-20 14:48:55

I’m having minor (day) surgery next month and have been asked to take a drive-through Covid test at another hospital.

I’ve previously done a self-swab test as part of a research study a few months ago and I’m pretty sure I didn’t do it properly - was gagging too much and my tongue kept getting in the way. I had watched the instructional video and took it slowly but I still messed up so my subsequent negative result wasn’t very useful.

I’m now worried I’ll have the same experience with the surgery pre-assessment test and would much prefer to have it done by someone else. Has anyone who’s had a drive-through test been given the option of having it done by someone else or did you have to do it yourself?

OP’s posts: |
kleew1 Sat 14-Nov-20 14:54:17

I had it done. They do it. Very swift and professional, over in around 30 seconds. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Ive seen a video going about online of a man making a big scene of it and it really annoyed me!

Bramblespoint Sat 14-Nov-20 14:56:59

If the test came back negative you did it correctly - it would have come back inadequate if you'd done it wrong

coastergirl Sat 14-Nov-20 15:02:27

I had one this morning and had to do it myself.

RubyTrees Sat 14-Nov-20 15:10:35

@kleew1, thanks, I'm hoping for a similar experience!

@Bramblespoint, it has been reported that self-swabs make false negatives more likely so that's why I wasn't very confident about mine.

Ferrero12345 Sat 14-Nov-20 17:21:53

I went to a regional drive through test centre a couple of days ago. Was given the choice of doing it myself of someone else doing it. I picked someone else doing it. Results back in 18 hours (negative).

shinynewapple2020 Sat 14-Nov-20 19:29:55

I went for one and the test was do it yourself . Result negative. I was worried I hadn't done it correctly but if that's the case it comes back inconclusive.

MindatWork Sat 14-Nov-20 19:33:04

I had one today OP and was offered someone to do it for me.

PodgeBod Sat 14-Nov-20 19:35:30

I had one and they did it for me, and it was less uncomfortable then a previous one that I did myself! They also did my DD4 and she was fine with it

RubyTrees Sat 14-Nov-20 20:24:55

It's good to know that some test centres do offer to do it for you.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

jcyclops Sat 14-Nov-20 23:38:29

I may have been mistaken in thinking it was just a nasal swab...

RubyTrees Sun 15-Nov-20 07:27:10

@jcyclops, that sounds painful grin

MangoM Sun 15-Nov-20 10:05:50

I had a colonoscopy recently and had to be tested beforehand. You just park up, confirm your details and they'll come and do the swab for you. So you don't need to worry about whether you've done it correctly or not. It was all really efficient when I had mine done.

I guess they would want to make sure it's done properly, otherwise an inconclusive result could mean appointments are unnecessarily missed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in