Am I going to be able to drive dd back to uni in Wales on Monday 9th?

(13 Posts)
Noideawottodo Mon 02-Nov-20 13:40:59

I am totally confused after listening to Mark Drakeford on the news.

She was ill and depressed so came home for 2 weeks but now wants to return to her uni house in Wales.

I'm normally fairly intelligent but have read all websites and still can't work it out.

OP’s posts: |
LilMissRe Mon 02-Nov-20 13:48:34

I would- it is essential travel in my opinion
They mentioned international travel being banned. As silly as my question sounds, does travel to England count as 'international'?

Noideawottodo Mon 02-Nov-20 13:50:03

Unless I hear differently I'll just drive her back. Trains are still scheduled to run so 🤷‍♀️

mumonthehill Mon 02-Nov-20 13:53:18

I think it is confusing but as I understand it travel between England and Wales is only allowed for essential purposes such as work or education. So if in England after Thursday you cannot pop across the border to the pub in wales when they reopen next week, however you could travel to school. I would say take her back but then she stays.

Cookerhood Mon 02-Nov-20 13:53:56

I think it would be reasonable, although the English information released on Saturday said that uni students must not come home (after Thurs, of course) and the Welsh goverment have said people mustn't leave Wales. Maybe check their restrictions on going from England to Wales, but I think you could argue the case.

Noideawottodo Mon 02-Nov-20 13:54:29

Yes she's definitely staying. They don't mention education as a reason to travel between borders unless you live in Wales and go to school in England.

Noideawottodo Mon 02-Nov-20 13:56:06

Cookerhood

I think it would be reasonable, although the English information released on Saturday said that uni students must not come home (after Thurs, of course) and the Welsh goverment have said people mustn't leave Wales. Maybe check their restrictions on going from England to Wales, but I think you could argue the case.

She's doing the reverse of this which is why its confusing. All her stuff is in Wales so she can't stay here indefinitely.

Advertisement

ArosGartref Mon 02-Nov-20 14:51:14

Both Welsh and English guidance says travelling for education is fine.

Cookerhood Tue 03-Nov-20 17:45:31

ArosGartref

Both Welsh and English guidance says travelling for education is fine.

Yes, but it specifically mentions that students shouldn't travel between home & university until Christmas.

ArosGartref Tue 03-Nov-20 18:02:49

Yes but they have already broken that 'rule' so she needs to go back.

Noideawottodo Tue 03-Nov-20 18:04:09

ArosGartref

Yes but they have already broken that 'rule' so she needs to go back.

We didn't break the rule. She came home before the rule.

tinkywinkyshandbag Tue 03-Nov-20 18:08:59

I have similar issue but DD already at home in England needing to go back to Durham. Can't take her back tomorrow as I'm working and I need DH with me as too far to drive there and back in a day alone 4.5 hrs drive each way) so it will have to be the weekend. Also she has lectures every day. I'm thinking that because it's for education it will be okay but we dont want to be stopped by the police and cautioned or fined.

ArosGartref Tue 03-Nov-20 18:11:49

Op, I'm not criticising. Whatever the rules I would have done exactly the same thing. I'm just saying it's fine to take her back.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in