Farage opposes lockdown

(11 Posts)
PuzzledObserver Mon 02-Nov-20 10:48:34

“The new national lockdown will result in more life-years lost than it hopes to save, as non-Covid patients with cancer, cardiac, lung and other illnesses have treatments delayed or cancelled again.”

Quote from Nigel Farage’s statement explaining that the Brexit Party is to be renamed Reform UK and will focus on critiquing the Government’s response to Covid, including opposing the new lockdown in England.

The new lockdown does NOT include delaying or cancelling treatments for non-Covid conditions, indeed it is aimed at making it possible for the NHS to sustain them.

There was an article yesterday about the state of the main hospital in Coventry, saying that the trust were struggling to comply with the target to complete 90% of the usual number of elective surgeries, because of the increase in Covid patients.

The NHS cannot treat massive numbers of Covid patients while maintaining normal service. It’s just not possible. Hence we have to reduce the number of a Covid patients - otherwise, staff will have to decide which to prioritise.

Farage is an idiot. But that’s not new information.

OP’s posts: |
MRex Mon 02-Nov-20 10:56:05

Narcissists will say anything for attention, it's sad in a way but better ignored.

Coriandersucks Mon 02-Nov-20 10:59:20

How is this man still getting screen time?

Xenia Mon 02-Nov-20 11:01:03

Although there will be no NHS, no paying of wages of nurses and doctors, no money to pay the heat the hospitals nor money to pay teachers or universal credit if this goes on too long. It is not an easy issue - long lock down could mean the end of the NHS and the welfare state for example.

lostallhope77 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:02:45

GOOD. Never thought I’d agree with Farage on anything, but faced with the prospect of losing my job and my home because of this shit, I think he’s 100% right.

PuzzledObserver Mon 02-Nov-20 12:10:15

I think both @Xenia and @lostallhope77 have fallen into the trap of thinking that uncontrolled spread of the virus will not cause economic harm. It will - and probably more than lockdown.

I get that it’s shit. Especially for @lostallhope. You (we) have every reason to be angry, feel helpless.

HOWEVER that does not change the logical fallacy in Farage’s statement. Locking down will preserve NHS capacity for non- COVID treatment. Not locking down will diminish it.

BlueBrian Mon 02-Nov-20 12:30:58

Farage is just hedging his bets here, now it looks like Trump might be out, he's revived his Brexit Party and is giving it a revamp.

Advertisement

the80sweregreat Mon 02-Nov-20 12:33:40

I'll start by saying I can see both sides of this argument about the upcoming lockdown. It is an impossible situation and not having an economy will also lead to further deaths , but not containing the virus will also wreck everything as well. It's tough.

Nigel Farage has ( no doubt) read the Daily mail comments pages etc and decided that many people feel the same as some posters on here and other threads around and wants to fuel the anti lockdown call.
He'll get support as many feel this is an ' over reaction' and because of who he is.

I'm on the fence. I'll abide by the rules myself , but the money it's costing and the real threat to people's lives and livelihoods is also a real and imminent threat.
Without people working , schools and the NHS might not exist not to mention jobs. Some People will lose everything and that is just awful.
No wonder people are angry and confused and worried and Nigel Farage and his supporters will tap into these very real fears and worries.
There is a lady on bbc two politics show arguing against a lockdown , so many others feel as Nigel Farage doe including a few scientists too that I've heard on tv in the past. It's not just him and his new party will be popular I'm sure.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Mon 02-Nov-20 12:33:56

Plenty of people, including many on this forum are against lockdown, utterly pointless thread to state “I hate farage”

PuzzledObserver Mon 02-Nov-20 17:01:58

It’s fine for people to argue against lockdown, whoever they are. My point is that if you are going to use logic to do it (rather than feelings), then please use it properly.

He said lockdown will prevent people with non-Covid issues getting treatment. It won’t, it will make it more likely they can get treatment. It may be that when all factors are taken into consideration, lockdown is not the best answer. But he doesn’t bolster his argument by saying things which are the reverse of the truth.

I’m attacking the argument, and would say the same no matter who advanced it.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Mon 02-Nov-20 17:13:45

Well last lockdown there were a lot of people either too scared to see their drs or not able to- there’s been an increase in suicides and domestic violence cases. Also non urgent surgeries etc is a little subjective, many won’t die but be left in a lot of discomfort. I’m not saying we don’t need to stem the flow of COVID patients, but it’s not as black and white as Farage is wrong.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in