Talk

Advanced search

Anyone fed up with we must save Christmas...

(183 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Sat 31-Oct-20 19:12:52

I just want normality not just for one day 😩

OP’s posts: |
Waxonwaxoff0 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:16:53

YANBU. I'm more concerned with saving jobs than bloody Christmas. I will be alone completely on Christmas day, I don't really care.

JustMeAndMyTins Sat 31-Oct-20 19:19:09

Yeah, I give zero shits about Christmas this year. I can do without for one year. And I say that as someone who lives at the other end of the country to my parents. I also quite like Christmas.

tryingtocatchthewind Sat 31-Oct-20 19:21:31

I find it incredibly difficult to listen to considering how some people in the media, and in real life, reacted to those who wanted to celebrate Eid

Nellodee Sat 31-Oct-20 19:21:45

I'm with you OP.

It just feels like the government think we are so thick and easily pleased with bread and circuses. Give the plebs their Christmas, and they'll be happy.

Nellodee Sat 31-Oct-20 19:22:22

The contrast with Eid is really horrible, I agree.

BamboozledandBefuddled Sat 31-Oct-20 19:22:29

Yes, I'm sick of it.

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Sat 31-Oct-20 19:23:17

Yes I’m more worried about the economy for the next decade and whether there will be any life worth living

Thatwentbadly Sat 31-Oct-20 19:24:01

Yes, it’s about saving lives not one holiday season. Lives are much more important.

glitterelf Sat 31-Oct-20 19:24:05

Sick to death of hearing about it when so many people have lost their lives and many have lost their jobs. The futures bleak.

Torvean32 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:24:52

No. I will do everything i can to see my dad at Christmas. I've not spoken to anybody all year bar shopassistants and taxi drivers. It may just be another day to you. Its not like that for all of us.

colouringindoors Sat 31-Oct-20 19:26:18

I agree.

I love Christmas. I've spent every Christmas with my extended family. That clearly won't be happening this year.

But ffs it's one day. Those of us lucky enough to be in work, well-housed and healthy have absolutely nothing to complain about imo. It's one year.

Glutted Sat 31-Oct-20 19:26:31

Im so bloody angry at some many things.

Save Christmas, that massive commercial event!
Lock down those of us that are in a high infection area!
Selfish people who have continuously broken rules
Those who defend rule breakers

Well now I've had wedding number 3 cancelled. Im so pissed off and am now seriously considering joining the rule breakers. Why should I be miserable and still not get my happy day!

PJsEveryday Sat 31-Oct-20 19:27:23

Every year I say its just one day. I don't care about Xmas. I care about my family and spending time with them and that, corona virus aside, can happen any time, so giving up xmas visiting this year is no big deal for me. I would rather have healthy family to visit once this shit is all over than to visit them at Xmas and risk giving them a virus that has the potential to kill them. Its one day. One fekking day. All the crap that surrounds the build up to Xmas day causes so much stress and anxiety. For one day . People need to get some perspective about Xmas, though I appreciate that but is different if you live alone and have done so throughout the whole pandemic.

MarshaBradyo Sat 31-Oct-20 19:28:28

It’s the media obsession

No mention until Sky etc

Nostrings457 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:29:51

It would be bloody lovely for family and friends to gather at christmas with no restrictions in place. But one day of 'freedom' shouldnt be at the cost of every day lives returning to some normality

cushioncovers Sat 31-Oct-20 19:30:00

Glad someone else mentioned Eid.

Attictroll Sat 31-Oct-20 19:31:24

Totally agree- not everyone has big family Christmas's or is Christian. Christmas Day for me is the he low point of Christmas so with all the parties, nativities, Christingle, fairs gone it's saving a small family meal! I would save jobs and lives over that every time!

DigitalGhost Sat 31-Oct-20 19:33:05

They don't want to be the government that ruin Christmas.
But saying that they must know that so many people plan on breaking the rules at Christmas that they might aswell ease it and take the credit.

Sertchgi123 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:33:58

Christmas is just not that important, jobs and lives are.

LostAcre Sat 31-Oct-20 19:35:07

I’d already accepted that Christmas won’t be a normal Christmas for us.

This new lockdown won’t change that. We’ll still be in a position where we’re nervous about being inside a house with extended family (and potentially infecting them) because DH has been working and the DC have been in school until just before Christmas.

gingerbreadfox Sat 31-Oct-20 19:36:48

All I care about is doctors and nurses not having to make the decision of whose life to save because there is not enough capacity to save both

Svelteinmydreams Sat 31-Oct-20 19:37:45

I am with you OP.
I totally understand that people are reaching the limit with respect to missing their family members, and I really feel for @Torvean32, I would love for you to see you Dad soon too. For me the hardest part is not hugging those I care about, as I would normally.

I just get irritated by the hypocrisy around Christmas. Many of us (myself included) may pay lip service to a Christian upbringing, but I would never set foot inside a church these days.
We are in Scotland and have been told to be prepared for a digital festive season, and as long as no-one in my family is alone, unless they wish to be, I will live with that.

LostAcre Sat 31-Oct-20 19:37:46

Attictroll

Totally agree- not everyone has big family Christmas's or is Christian. Christmas Day for me is the he low point of Christmas so with all the parties, nativities, Christingle, fairs gone it's saving a small family meal! I would save jobs and lives over that every time!

^ and yes, all that sort of stuff - that’s a big part of Christmas for us normally. It’s difficult for me to imagine all that happening this year.

apples24 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:37:57

Very fed up of the Christmas chat. I prefer the emphasis being on saving lives and the economy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in