Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think those who are against this Lockdown only care about themselves?

(164 Posts)
Tier2Minus Sat 31-Oct-20 16:35:01

The way back to a healthy economy, to saving lives, to normal NHS function, to normal schooling for our kids and normal lives for ourselves is by getting the virus firmly under control like they have done in Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.

Lazy, negative defeatist people talk down our country and say it can't be done. If those other countries can do it, of course Britain can do it too.

Those of us who care about our country would stay positive and make the effort.

Would you?

OP’s posts: |
cologne4711 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:37:53

I disagree. You could argue the exact opposite: those who want a lockdown are privileged and don't care about others. They can work from home, get out for exercise and won't lose their jobs in restaurants and leisure centres.

Stellaris22 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:39:05

Other than the potential of schools closing a lockdown wouldn't affect me, or change my life in any noticeable way, so I'm not fussed.

However it has a huge impact on people's incomes so understand why it's worrying.

cologne4711 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:39:56

And yes it's all looking rosy in NZ and Aus. Except that it isn't actually - thousands upon thousands of people have lost their jobs. The long lockdown in Melbourne has wrecked the economy.

www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-melbourne-curfew-is-a-lesson-for-europe-0r7mbvk22

Quotes from the article:

Large workforces were limited to as little as a quarter of their normal staffing, shops deemed non-essential were shut and the Australian Retailers Association estimated last month that half the state’s small businesses may never reopen.

The national treasury told parliament this week that Victoria’s lockdown cut A$100 million (£54 million) a day from Australia’s economic activity, resulting in an average of 1,200 jobs disappearing a day. The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners has reported demand for mental health services rose by 30 per cent.

Enforcement was rigorous. Police set up roadblocks to check that people were moving lawfully. By late August they had issued nearly 20,000 fines. Individuals were liable to pay up to A$1,652 and companies up to A$9,900 for each breach of lockdown.

ksohh0 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:40:35

I was a big supporter of the first lockdown but the cure is fast becoming worse than the disease. Control will only ever be temporary.

I will continue to support measures until the middle of next year to give time to establish whether vaccines will be viable. If vaccines won't be viable I will not support further lockdowns or restrictions on normal life with no end in sight. It isn't a sustainable way to live long term. I don't know a single person who wouldn't rather take the risk at that point than live a half life for years.

MaxNormal Sat 31-Oct-20 16:40:54

You mean care about themselves in the sense of being terrified of losing their jobs and businesses, and not being able to pay their mortgages and keep a roof over their heads?
What a stupid fucking post.

WhyDoesItAlways Sat 31-Oct-20 16:43:59

Unless we severely restrict our borders we simply cannot be like new Zealand or Taiwan. It's just not going to happen lockdown or not.

A lockdown only affects me socially so I am incredibly lucky, others are not so fortunate and risk losing jobs, livelihoods and homes. We are literally asking them to risk that to save a stranger's life. I can see why people are anti lockdown. I wouldn't risk the roof over my family's head for anyone. Sorry if that makes me selfish.

110APiccadilly Sat 31-Oct-20 16:45:54

The thing is, you can't catch poverty or suicide. So a lot of people assume that will only affect Others. The honest truth is that there are selfish people on both sides of this debate.

jcurve Sat 31-Oct-20 16:46:38

So if you want an Australia/NZ style lockdown, you have to completely isolate from the rest of the world. No flights in/out. Australia isn’t planning to start international flights again until late 2021.

Australia also has the equivalent of Manchester being isolated from London. My parents cannot see my siblings without 2 weeks of self funded quarantine in a hotel room without any fresh air.

Australia has huge penalties - they’ve jailed people - for non compliance.

If you want a Korea/Taiwan lockdown, that means submitting to invasive government surveillance of your whereabouts, as well as totalitarian mask wearing.

Fundamentally, both approaches involve significant deprivation of liberty and privacy. Culturally, Brits couldn’t do it, even if we wanted to.

Jrobhatch29 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:47:08

MaxNormal

You mean care about themselves in the sense of being terrified of losing their jobs and businesses, and not being able to pay their mortgages and keep a roof over their heads?
What a stupid fucking post.

This

IcedPurple Sat 31-Oct-20 16:49:11

*The way back to a healthy economy, to saving lives, to normal NHS function, to normal schooling for our kids and normal lives for ourselves is by getting the virus firmly under control like they have done in Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.

Lazy, negative defeatist people talk down our country and say it can't be done. If those other countries can do it, of course Britain can do it too.*

"These other countries" are very different from Britain in fundamental ways, as has been discussed at length over the past 7 months.

Countries more directly comparable to Britain, ie other Western European nations, aren't doing great. Your post is naive and poorly informed.

IcedPurple Sat 31-Oct-20 16:50:31

110APiccadilly

The thing is, you can't catch poverty or suicide. So a lot of people assume that will only affect Others. The honest truth is that there are selfish people on both sides of this debate.

If by 'selfish' you mean that they care about themselves and their families way more than they care about strangers, then pretty much everyone is 'selfish'.

ReneeRol Sat 31-Oct-20 16:50:31

Supporting lockdown is a privilege for those who aren't negatively affected by it. People are losing their businesses, their incomes...

I know you probably don't live in the real world and congratulations on your privilege but for many people that means they can't pay their mortgages/rent/car/utilities/food... Essential things they need to live and work.

When the schools and creches were closed too that caused even more poverty due to single parents not being able to work and many children not having access to education.

Lockdown is catastrophic for many people, worst of all for the most economically vulnerable.

tappitytaptap Sat 31-Oct-20 16:51:28

I don’t understand why people who are worried about keeping a roof over their heads and not being able to afford to have such luxuries such as food are selfish, yet people who MIGHT get an illness and get to tell them nope, you shouldn’t be able to pay your bills to stop me worrying.

Tier2Minus Sat 31-Oct-20 16:51:38

cologne4711

I disagree. You could argue the exact opposite: those who want a lockdown are privileged and don't care about others. They can work from home, get out for exercise and won't lose their jobs in restaurants and leisure centres.


70% of the country support this Lockdown. That's a lot of "privilege". wink

Some people think primarily about themselves so they think that's what it's about for everyone. "I'm all right Jack" (or not as the case may be.

But plenty of people just understand it's the right thing to do now, even though it's going to be rough on them. It's rough on everybody in different ways isn't it?

OP’s posts: |
AnyFucker Sat 31-Oct-20 16:52:04

^You mean care about themselves in the sense of being terrified of losing their jobs and businesses, and not being able to pay their mortgages and keep a roof over their heads?
What a stupid fucking post.^

Well said. Only the ignorant priveliged could come out with shit like the op.

tappitytaptap Sat 31-Oct-20 16:52:21

Also I would probably be considered middle class, can WFH... and I still think it’s a fucking stupid idea.

IcedPurple Sat 31-Oct-20 16:52:53

Some people think primarily about themselves

Almost everyone thinks primarily about themselves. I'm willing to bet you do too.

tappitytaptap Sat 31-Oct-20 16:53:25

Who the hell are this 70%? I know a lot of people and the vast majority of them are in the other 30%.

FourTeaFallOut Sat 31-Oct-20 16:53:47

Oh for god's sake is any of this shit necessary? Nobody on MN is making these decision, you are just seeding further division and resentment. This slandering of people who think differently to you needs to end. Both sides need to turn the vitriol down.

Bluntness100 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:54:34

I also think it’s the opposite peoole who are against this are worried about the bigger pic

Where did you get the seventy percent stat, can you link to it please? I’d have said it was more likely seventy percent against it.

As a pp said, people are now worried the cure is worse than the disease.

ReneeRol Sat 31-Oct-20 16:54:59

I'd love to know where this 70% support comes from. Your own head...

IcedPurple Sat 31-Oct-20 16:55:04

tappitytaptap

Who the hell are this 70%? I know a lot of people and the vast majority of them are in the other 30%.

What people tell pollsters is often not what they actually believe. Even in anonymous surveys, respondents often say what they feel they 'should' say rather than what they privately believe. Hence the famous 'shy Tory' phenonemon.

Bluntness100 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:55:35

tappitytaptap

Who the hell are this 70%? I know a lot of people and the vast majority of them are in the other 30%.

I’m not sure where the op got that stat from, I think folks should hang fire on commenting until she links her source.

TeddyIsaHe Sat 31-Oct-20 16:57:21

My father died from covid complications back in May. I know how fucking life ruining this virus is.

I do not support a lockdown. I don’t want anyone to die, and for their families to go through what I have, but this is a slow death in itself. Lockdowns are going to have massive effects for generations. Austerity, crippling debt, the poorest poorer.

It’s a fucking shit show, and being smug about the ‘70%’ just shows what a piece of work you are op.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in