Talk

Advanced search

To believe the Daily Fail - full UK lockdown being announced next week?

(105 Posts)
Hmmmmminteresting Fri 30-Oct-20 22:37:26

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8898985/Boris-Johnson-announce-national-coronavirus-lockdown-WEEK-save-Christmas.html

I hate to believe, but now am also used to this dripfeed we get which 9/10 times ends up being correct 🤔

OP’s posts: |
EatDessertFirst Fri 30-Oct-20 22:38:13

Do we have an actual source rather than just a rag?

Hmmmmminteresting Fri 30-Oct-20 22:39:55

Nope - just the rag.

GirlCrush Fri 30-Oct-20 22:40:12

theres another thread

save christmas??

so everyone will celebrate end of lockdown over christmas by mixing households again. we will be in lockdown all January again

GirlCrush Fri 30-Oct-20 22:40:54

it was just on the news

EatDessertFirst Fri 30-Oct-20 22:41:10

Then as far as I'm concerned its just the media stirring shit as always. I'll believe it and lose my job when it happens.

SchrodingersImmigrant Fri 30-Oct-20 22:41:23

Tbf to them, looking at other countries, I can't see how we wouldn't have one

Mamimawr Fri 30-Oct-20 22:41:50

It says "national" not "full UK lockdown" in the article. Boris would need an agreement from Scottish, Welsh etc Governments if he wanted an UK lockdown. Wales and Northern Ireland are already in lockdown.

MushMonster Fri 30-Oct-20 22:42:34

Well... in Wales we are already on lockdown for two weeks! So I hope this does not mean that is extendedsad

Hmmmmminteresting Fri 30-Oct-20 22:44:31

Sorry Mush, the article does state national. So hopefully you'll be coming out as we enter.
Dh lost his job at the end of the last lockdown.
Starts his new one on Monday.
What timing this is :-(
But like others, can't see another way out now so I guess it will be right.

Gancanny Fri 30-Oct-20 22:44:41

Based on previous announcements, possibly a Sunday press conference?

Crunchymum Fri 30-Oct-20 22:45:41

I've said this numerous times but Christmas just is not the time to ease restrictions.

People usually travel and mix households en masses during the festive period and the government would be negligent to encourage this, in the current climate. There is no way Xmas can be "saved"

Normandy144 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:45:52

Move this to the covid topic please!

GirlCrush Fri 30-Oct-20 22:46:50

looking at footage of students having a last party before they go to tier 2/3 then it doesn't surprise me its getting out of hand

we have brought another lockdown on ourselves by being overly keen to 'get back to normal'

GirlCrush Fri 30-Oct-20 22:47:59

@crunchymum i agree!

Reallyhow122 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:49:31

It’s on front page of the times too

spongebobscaredypants Fri 30-Oct-20 22:53:49

Basically man we all go into their 3, nothing like first lockdown I don't think

raddledoldmisanthropist Fri 30-Oct-20 22:54:57

YABU to think that BJ plans that far in advance.

Hmmmmminteresting Fri 30-Oct-20 22:55:19

I agree, for as long as schools remain open it will be very different to last time. My office shut down for 12 weeks previously. This time they've already advised that wont be happening again!

ShellsAndSunrises Fri 30-Oct-20 22:56:06

I suspect it may be true. They seem to have run this whole thing by the media first....

Flaxmeadow Fri 30-Oct-20 22:57:17

I believe it was The Times who led with this story.

Other papers just follow with their own version when a story breaks in any paper

Hmmmmminteresting Fri 30-Oct-20 22:58:19

Seems most are reporting it now. Sky news update just came up on my phone saying the same
Not good.

SheepandCow Fri 30-Oct-20 23:02:13

Crunchymum

I've said this numerous times but Christmas just is not the time to ease restrictions.

People usually travel and mix households en masses during the festive period and the government would be negligent to encourage this, in the current climate. There is no way Xmas can be "saved"

Definitely could've been saved if we'd done the same as Melbourne in Australia. Three months ago they had an outbreak (quarantine failure that won't be repeated bar deliberate sabotage). They rolled their sleeves up and got on with containing it. Obviously it was a proper lockdown - with strictly restricted borders. Their efforts have now paid off and they'll join the rest of Australia in having a largely normal Christmas.

SheepandCow Fri 30-Oct-20 23:04:32

Professor Devi Sridhar is one of the scientific experts advising the Scottish government. She explains it well:

Two approaches: either keeping borders largely open like the UK, but adopting harsh domestic restrictions to try to combat community transmission; or having very tight border controls, like Taiwan and New Zealand, but few restrictions on everyday life.

And

On a panel with several CEOs yesterday and their message was clear -> it's the virus impacting consumer behaviour & their businesses, not just restrictions. Already clear that controlling the virus with a clear strategy is best route to economic recovery.

SheepandCow Fri 30-Oct-20 23:05:42

Prof Sridhar also says:

The longer the UK delays lockdown, the longer it will last

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in