Talk

Advanced search

I got a positive.

(18 Posts)
rhng Fri 30-Oct-20 17:20:49

So I got a positive result Tuesday. I've been isolating in my room(I am lucky that my only symptoms are loss of taste and smell)
I live with my parents and daughter, they have been isolating in the house and my mum has been looking after my little girl, just to be extra careful.

My mum has now developed symptoms and is going for a test.
My anxiety is through the roof. If she is positive I would then have to be around my little girl (who is 4) and I am just worrying that I will pass it on to her.
My head is in over drive. I know we need to keep everything clean, washed hands etc like we normally do anyway, but I am sitting here worrying thinking will I need to wash every toy I now touch everyday when playing with her, will I need to wipe down all the furniture I sit on etc, when I give her a water bottle, etc will I need to wear gloves.
I know it probably sounds dramatic, but I have OCD too. So that and my anxiety are playing havoc with my brain and all these questions are going around in my brain.

Please can someone reassure me and to the people who have had it, what did you do when caring for your little ones?

Thank you and sorry for sounding like such an idiot.

OP’s posts: |
Tadpolesandfroglets Fri 30-Oct-20 17:25:15

I didn’t want to read and run but It’s very likely your little one will be absolutely fine. Just keep hand washing and being sensible.

ABitOdd Fri 30-Oct-20 17:28:31

Is your little one healthy? If she doesn’t have underlying health problems then they chances of her becoming seriously unwell from Covid are extremely low! In fact it’s more likely that she had it asymptomatically and gave it to you.

rhng Fri 30-Oct-20 17:32:20

Thank you both for the replies smile she has mild asthma and mild anemia, as well as a couple of food allergies.
Her asthma was awful back in March this year, to the point where she was constantly violently sick and was getting a temperature of 39c. I am convinced she had covid back then, which is why I am a little on edge for her.
Her asthma so far since Sept this year hasn't been bad at all, but I worry if she catches this it could affect her. I'm such an over worrier normally anyway, that this sort of thing puts me quite on edge.

Bmidreams Fri 30-Oct-20 17:33:45

I agree that she must have it or have had it. She's not likely to be affected. Best wishes, op, it must be a horrible time.

Perfect28 Fri 30-Oct-20 17:34:04

Tbh I would be much more worried about my mum getting it than my daughter, you haven't mentioned being concerned for her?

Bmidreams Fri 30-Oct-20 17:34:32

Do you have an Oximeter? It might offer some comfort.

rhng Fri 30-Oct-20 17:36:31

Perfect28

Tbh I would be much more worried about my mum getting it than my daughter, you haven't mentioned being concerned for her?

Of course I am concerned about my mum too! But my mum is extremely healthy and is feeling absolutely fine in herself like I am.
I am more concerned for my daughter because of her asthma and other medical issues as is my mum.

rhng Fri 30-Oct-20 17:38:27

Bmidreams

Do you have an Oximeter? It might offer some comfort.

Thank you, I do wonder if it may have been from her preschool setting, I am hoping that if she has/does get it that hopefully it will not affect her or her health conditions.
I have not heard of one of those, I will google it now and look into it. Thank you smile

Squiffany Fri 30-Oct-20 17:41:03

Can your Dad not look after your daughter? You and your Mum isolate together.

rhng Fri 30-Oct-20 17:45:38

Squiffany

Can your Dad not look after your daughter? You and your Mum isolate together.

My dad has bad back issues so would struggle with certain things like getting down on the floor to play with her, etc and because it has always been my mum or me caring for her, my daughter has become accustom to that set up and freaks out if others were to do it, like helping her with the toilet (she has lichen sclerosus and needs help washing down there each time she does a wee, etc) I know the lady on the telephone said to be cautious, but it was just nice having that safety net of knowing I could isolate away and keep her safe, if that makes sense.

lljkk Fri 30-Oct-20 17:47:01

Your DD is the safest person in the house even if you interact with her heavily. Being young is protective. I hope your mum recovers quickly, too.

rhng Fri 30-Oct-20 17:52:56

lljkk

Your DD is the safest person in the house even if you interact with her heavily. Being young is protective. I hope your mum recovers quickly, too.

Thank you, yes me too. I'm hoping that her symptoms stay mild like mine. She is the healthiest one out of us all in the house, so I keeping everything crossed for her.
Would I be crazy washing down toys everyday do you think? I realise I must sound like a mad lady saying it.

Porcupineinwaiting Fri 30-Oct-20 17:54:51

If your mum is now the most newly COVID person in the household then it makes sense for her to hide away and you to look after your dd.

You can wear a mask and use plenty of ventilation to minimize the risk to her but you are most infectious before symptoms start so you are past the peak period.

Think about how to protect your dad - his sex and age put him at greater risk than you or your mum . Is there a separate bedroom he could use?

ContraIndicated Fri 30-Oct-20 17:58:57

How old are your parents? Your daughter will be fine. She’s probably already infected. It’s your dad you need to be trying to protect

ContraIndicated Fri 30-Oct-20 18:00:25

Keeping the windows open would offer far more protection than washing the toys daily. Wash your hands frequently and keep the windows open.

Scrouge Fri 30-Oct-20 18:11:46

ContraIndicated

Keeping the windows open would offer far more protection than washing the toys daily. Wash your hands frequently and keep the windows open.

Yes, this. The latest research says that you’re more likely to become infected through aersol which can stay airborne for sometime vs surfaces.
Open windows at all times to keep air circulation through rooms
If you can wear a mask indoors as well around others- and when moving from room you are mainly isolating in with your daughter. it can’t do any harm unless your little one is a bit freaked by it
Try to keep 2 metres from others in house if you have mix - obviously can’t do that with daughter

Sally872 Fri 30-Oct-20 18:20:23

The only 2 families I know personally who have had it never passed it to their children who lived in the same house (under 10) I am starting to believe children are less likely to get it. Try not to worry.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in