Talk

Advanced search

Covid + with 6 week old baby

(10 Posts)
SpaceSharkTea Thu 29-Oct-20 02:29:45

Hi everyone. I'm looking for someone who's been in the same position or is currently in the same position. Yesterday morning the 4 people in my house (all adults) tested positive for COVID-19. I have a 6 week old baby who didn't get tested and now I am worried sick about what might happen if he gets it.

All the adults are symptomatic to varying degrees with DH being the worse by far. Bed bound/sleeping constantly since Saturday night.

I can't sleep and am just laying here watching the baby to make sure he doesn't take a sudden turn in the night and I don't notice sad

Has anyone had a small baby whilst also having COVID? Did the baby get unwell? I think I'm just looking for a hand hold really and honest accounts of other people's stories.

OP’s posts: |
Jrobhatch29 Thu 29-Oct-20 06:25:27

My mams neighbour caught it a few weeks ago in hospital when she had her baby. She started with symptoms a few days after getting home. Her newborn didn't catch it or display any symptoms

Hope you all feel better soon

Mindymomo Thu 29-Oct-20 08:17:24

It is very worrying for you, but try and look after yourself and your baby. Rest as much as you can. So many people have reported that children and babies have not caught it, whilst living with positive cases, or if they have, they’ve shown no symptoms.

Camomila Thu 29-Oct-20 08:22:25

Oh bless you. I was pretty ill in March (so before testing). DS2 was 8 weeks old, I carried on breastfeeding so didn't SD from him. He had a cough but was otherwise fine. A few nights he slept propped up on me (took in turns with DH to stay awake).

notevenat20 Thu 29-Oct-20 08:26:44

Your baby is at no risk from covid. I hope you don’t feel too bad and get well soon.

BuffaloCauliflower Thu 29-Oct-20 11:10:22

The risk to baby is tiny, much less than to an adult. Are you breastfeeding? If so any antibodies you’re making to fight it will be going into baby and protecting them.

SpaceSharkTea Thu 29-Oct-20 19:08:02

Thank you for taking the time to answer everyone. It's been really reassuring

Yes I'm breastfeeding but I've been purely expressing so the baby isn't so close to me for long periods of time while I feel so poorly still

OP’s posts: |
stella1know Thu 29-Oct-20 19:23:39

Hope that everyone is wearing a mask inside the home. Please keep yourself and baby in a separate room. Air regularly with the window wide open for 15 mins at a time. No common meals.
Hopefully you aren’t dashing about caring for 3 covid patients. Your baby is your priority. They should look after themselves. Drop meals at the door if you really need to, but don’t go into their rooms. They can reinfect each other or increase their viral loads by not isolating from each other. Keep away from the others.
If you have it too, or as you are at risk,please Anyway wear a mask around the baby. All day if you need to. Breastfeeding will help massively but avoid air transmission. Keep your hands clean.

Is there anywhere you can go, eg can you go and stay in a spare room at your parents, staying away so you dont infect them, but keeping baby away from covid.

Hopefully you and baby will be fine but don’t let people downplay The potential risks. Take care.

stella1know Thu 29-Oct-20 19:28:02

Oh, just read your answer that you have it too. In which case you cannot go to another household.
Masks and handwashing hourly airing and keeping baby away from the other household members who tested positive so if baby gets any of the virus, it is only from you. That way your breastmilk will be more tailored to those strains, and the viral load is less than from 3 different carriers.
Fingers crossed.

CCSS15 Thu 29-Oct-20 19:43:43

I had it when baby was about 6 weeks old. Carried on as normal so with no social distancing within the house and breast feeding baby - neither baby nor toddler had symptoms

Get well soon

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in