Talk

Advanced search

Germany having a national lockdown in November

(24 Posts)
MarcelineMissouri Wed 28-Oct-20 17:58:05

I don’t know why I’m surprised by this, probably because I always think of Germany as doing so well still!

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-germany-to-enter-four-week-lockdown-from-november-chancellor-merkel-confirms-12117056

OP’s posts: |
ArsumLardis Wed 28-Oct-20 18:05:28

I Spoke to a German colleague yesterday who predicted this was coming. I was surprised, too.

FatimaMunchy Wed 28-Oct-20 18:12:59

They will still be allowed gatherings of 10 people and care homes will continue to have visitors. In some respects their rules have not been as stringent as ours.
People have been allowed to attend church services for longer than us (socially distanced) and they can sing as long as they wear masks.
I still trust Frau Merkel more than BJ. She does seem to care about her people. I hope he follows the German model and not the Welsh one.

Sonnenscheins Wed 28-Oct-20 18:17:20

Their lockdown rules will still be less restrictive than our current rules.

They'll still be allowed to meet up to 10 people indoors from two separate households.

And shops, schools, hairdressers will remain open.

So not too restrictive or costly!

RockingMyFiftiesNot Wed 28-Oct-20 18:25:21

How I'd love to be able to meet up with another household indoors.
Anyone else expecting a full lockdown in the UK ?

RockingMyFiftiesNot Wed 28-Oct-20 18:25:45

Sorry should have said England, not UK

MarshaBradyo Wed 28-Oct-20 18:27:22

It’s near tier 3 but not as restrictive by the looks of it.

But still probably feels onerous

MountainDweller Wed 28-Oct-20 18:29:06

Fingers crossed EU borders are staying open then if Merkel didn't mention them. Waiting for Macron speech at 8pm 🤞🏻

MissMarplesGlove Wed 28-Oct-20 18:38:30

I still trust Frau Merkel more than BJ. She does seem to care about her people. I hope he follows the German model and not the Welsh one.

Germany has had sensible restrictions since early March. But they're not as restrictive as our lockdown or current restrictions.

My German family were surprised at how late our lockdown started, and also how restrictive that first national lockdown was.

The 2 aspects of the UK government bungling of looking after its citizens are connected: had there been sensible restrictions since February, and better re-organisation of the NHS and ICU provision subsequently (maybe the PM should have attended COBRA meetings instead of glad-handing fund-raising), we might not have such restrictions as we are currently under (or maybe going into if we're Tier 1 or2).

Redolent Wed 28-Oct-20 18:50:39

Sonnenscheins

They'll still be allowed to meet up to 10 people indoors from two separate households.

But all pubs to close for a month, and restaurants to close for a month except takeaways. That's costly no?

MarcelineMissouri Wed 28-Oct-20 18:54:08

Apparently the German government will support closed businesses with up to 75% of their revenue for the same month last year.

OP’s posts: |
movingonup20 Wed 28-Oct-20 18:56:41

Except the shops are open and two families can gather together so not really a lockdown, more like whet we already have

FatimaMunchy Wed 28-Oct-20 19:42:48

Germany starts on 2nd November. President Macron has announced a lockdown starting on Friday.

annabel85 Wed 28-Oct-20 19:50:52

MarcelineMissouri

I don’t know why I’m surprised by this, probably because I always think of Germany as doing so well still!

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-germany-to-enter-four-week-lockdown-from-november-chancellor-merkel-confirms-12117056

It's winter flu season. It's unavoidable.

Sonnenscheins Thu 29-Oct-20 14:33:36

Except the shops are open and two families can gather together so not really a lockdown, more like whet we already have

Actually less restrictive than what we have here in tier 2, not even the strictest tier!

TheKeatingFive Thu 29-Oct-20 15:31:32

Sounds like a libertarian paradise from where I am (Ireland).

Delatron Thu 29-Oct-20 15:34:02

It’s kind of the opposite here. We keep the pubs open but households can’t mingle.

Louisianna16 Thu 29-Oct-20 19:05:06

MissMarplesGlove

*I still trust Frau Merkel more than BJ. She does seem to care about her people. I hope he follows the German model and not the Welsh one.*

Germany has had sensible restrictions since early March. But they're not as restrictive as our lockdown or current restrictions.

My German family were surprised at how late our lockdown started, and also how restrictive that first national lockdown was.

The 2 aspects of the UK government bungling of looking after its citizens are connected: had there been sensible restrictions since February, and better re-organisation of the NHS and ICU provision subsequently (maybe the PM should have attended COBRA meetings instead of glad-handing fund-raising), we might not have such restrictions as we are currently under (or maybe going into if we're Tier 1 or2).

*@MissMarplesGlove"

"My German family were surprised at how late our lockdown started, and also how restrictive that first national lockdown was."

Really?

UK full lockdown - March 16

Germany full lockdown - March 22.

Lavenderseas Thu 29-Oct-20 19:53:53

It doesn't sound that strict at all, I'd love to be able to meet in a group 10 inside (from different households) inside my home!

Schools will also remain open

FatimaMunchy Fri 30-Oct-20 06:02:07

Lavenderseas Angela Merkel grew up in East Germany and I suspect she is reluctant to impose anything which restricts civil liberties.

MissMarplesGlove Fri 30-Oct-20 09:13:50

@Louisianna16 you miss my point - Germany had taken appropriate public health actions against transmission for almost a month before full lockdown - gyms were closed, meetings of large groups of people were not allowed, all but essential shops were closed, and face coverings in all public indoor spaces were required (as far as I know, no exemptions).

Thus, their lockdown wasn't ever as severe as ours, and they evened out the spikes by managing to curb transmission much earlier than us.

Theatres opened in September, and are still open now, although about to close for a month. All properly socially distanced. Work places were open throughout lockdown, employees socially distanced and masked.

Feellikefrighteningyeah Fri 30-Oct-20 10:20:14

It's not a lockdown

TheSeedsOfADream Fri 30-Oct-20 10:32:54

They are acting pre-emptively having seen the shitshow elsewhere I expect.

thecatsatonthewall Fri 30-Oct-20 10:45:46

Sonnenscheins

What? even in Tier 3, pubs serving food & restaurants, remain open in England.
ONS suggest over 100k daily CV infections in England.

Germany is shutting down almost all hospitality, far stricter than ours and starting from a much lower base of infections etc.

Johnson missed the boat... again sad We should have locked down in September, as he was advised to do, we'd now be out of that and ahead of the curve.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in