Talk

Advanced search

Nursery fees

(14 Posts)
MKCH Tue 27-Oct-20 11:19:05

We had an email last week that a staff member at nursery had tested positive, but that as my DD hadn't been in contact with said staff member, she was still able to attend.

This morning we received a phone call that after reconsidering the guidance, all bar three of the staff members have to isolate due to having been in contact with the diagnosed staff member, and therefore DD can't go in until further notice as there aren't enough staff to run the nursery.

I've just received an invoice for November which is a pay in full invoice - as in, there doesn't seem to be any refund for the fact that DD can't go in, even though she is (in theory) able to attend.

Should I query this? I don't want to be the annoying parent that starts demanding things (especially as she's only been attending since the beginning of September) but I feel like it's not my fault, and therefore we shouldn't have to pay for the days that DD can't attend.

For transparency, they are having a meeting today to see what can be done (might be able to bring in agency workers maybe, or transfer staff from their other sites) - so it might be that they're waiting to see the full extent of the situation/how long the children will be away from nursery for before offering a refund/reduction.

WWYD?

OP’s posts: |
WoWsers16 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:21:31

I would question it as it isn't your fault and she can attend. I don't think that would be bad on your part for questioning it x

DianaBrackley Tue 27-Oct-20 11:24:49

If they're having a meeting today, wait and see what the outcome is before querying. If you see the issue and they see the issue then it doesn't hurt to wait a bit. If they don't refund/increase staff then you're good to raise your objections. Give them a chance first though.

starsinyourpies Tue 27-Oct-20 11:26:08

Do you think they should not pay team members who are sick/self isolating?

Agree wait for outcome of the meeting.

SqidgeBum Tue 27-Oct-20 11:52:31

I have been wondering about this too, about what happens if my nursery says they cant open or have DD, do I still have to pay? I can see why they need the money as the staff still need to be paid while in isolation, and its not the staffs fault that they need to isolate. But then is it my job to pay them while also taking days off work on sick leave because I have no childcare? It's also not my fault the staff need to isolate.

It's a rubbish situation all around tbh. Hopefully your nursery will find a solution.

MKCH Tue 27-Oct-20 12:11:22

Thanks all. I agree with waiting for the outcome of the meeting.

And I agree that I don't want the staff members to not be paid when they're isolating. It's not their fault either.

But as you say @SqidgeBum - it's not my fault either, and I will potentially have to take unpaid leave to look after DD, and I'm being charged for a service that I'm not receiving. I think I'll query it (if necessary, after their meeting) and see how they respond. I'm not going to go in all guns blazing.

SoloMummy Tue 27-Oct-20 12:16:22

I imagine tgta of you look at the ts and Cs it will now have a clause stating that if lo cannot attend due to isolating and or the room closes due to isolating that you're still lia le for full fees. If they didn't, then they couldn't afford to open and would close I'd imagine.
Yes its unfortunate you wo t have the service you hope for, but equally, if they fold and there's no service at all is there?

MKCH Tue 27-Oct-20 12:27:28

@SoloMummy I've checked and there's nothing there.

And yes, of course I don't want that to happen, and it's a lovely nursery with very good staff. I certainly don't want them to suffer.

Cornishbelle Tue 27-Oct-20 18:58:52

@MKCH just wondering if you have heard anything yet? We have similar situation atm and am also wondering about November full invoice

MKCH Tue 27-Oct-20 19:13:19

@Cornishbelle actually yes we did! We received an email, part of which said that they cannot charge parents for a service they're unable to provide, and as such any missed days will be credited to December's invoice.

I have also since looked at something on gov.uk which says similar - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nursery-and-early-years-sector-covid-19-restrictions-and-consumer-law/nursery-and-early-years-sector-covid-19-restrictions-and-consumer-law-advice

But anyway - my moral crisis was averted, luckily, I hope yours works itself out too!

Cornishbelle Tue 27-Oct-20 19:20:22

@MKCH that is really helpful thank you, I'm glad to hear it has worked out ok I can see this potentially happening multiple times so good to know there is some back up

SqidgeBum Tue 27-Oct-20 19:34:51

That's great OP! It is quite a problem for businesses though isnt it.

cologne4711 Tue 27-Oct-20 22:06:43

I imagine tgta of you look at the ts and Cs it will now have a clause stating that if lo cannot attend due to isolating and or the room closes due to isolating that you're still lia le for full fees. If they didn't, then they couldn't afford to open and would close I'd imagine

If there is such a clause it's unenforceable.

cologne4711 Tue 27-Oct-20 22:08:05

Or rather if the child can't attend you have to pay, but if the nursery can't provide the service, you don't. But the nursery has done the right thing here. Unlike many others back in March/April time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in