Talk

Advanced search

Why are we okay with students being locked up in their dorms?

(652 Posts)
JKRowlingIsMyQueen Mon 28-Sep-20 19:05:14

I just heard about the students in Manchester who are not allowed to leave their dorms.

Why on earth is this allowed to happen? So the rest of us who are not students are allowed to get pissed in a pub, get on a plane and travel abroad and back etc., but if you are a student you are not allowed to LEAVE your dorms?

What science are these kind of rules following? The science of Boris needing more ammo to blame young people for spreading the virus?

I'm losing hope.

OP’s posts: |
AlecTrevelyan006 Mon 28-Sep-20 19:08:23

it is absolutely outrageous and the sooner the students revolt the better

noblegiraffe Mon 28-Sep-20 19:09:17

If you’re isolating, you’re not supposed to leave your house. That applies to everyone?

CodenameVillanelle Mon 28-Sep-20 19:09:54

I don't understand what is happening. It's like a nightmare.

CodenameVillanelle Mon 28-Sep-20 19:10:44

noblegiraffe

If you’re isolating, you’re not supposed to leave your house. That applies to everyone?

Entire halls of residence are self isolating?

whiteroseredrose Mon 28-Sep-20 19:10:53

We're not ok with it!

farfallarocks Mon 28-Sep-20 19:11:26

It’s awful we are failing young people and those that live alone hugely in the handling of this crisis.

thedifferentlive Mon 28-Sep-20 19:11:39

They are asked to self isolate.

Nellodee Mon 28-Sep-20 19:12:03

Not only that, they're paying through the nose for the privelege.

noblegiraffe Mon 28-Sep-20 19:13:48

Entire halls of residence are self isolating?

Entire schools of children have been sent home to self isolate. No fuss about those?

KetoPenguin Mon 28-Sep-20 19:14:00

If they are self isolating after being exposed that's different but otherwise it is worrying and unfair when others are allowed out. I

movingonup20 Mon 28-Sep-20 19:14:14

We aren't ok! Unless there's someone in their flat it's not reasonable

Khajit Mon 28-Sep-20 19:14:26

It's shit. I feel so sorry for all the students who have gone this year, the drop out rate is going to be massive.

JamieLeeCurtains Mon 28-Sep-20 19:15:08

No, I'm not ok with this.

These 18 year olds were lured to these expensive halls under false preferences and locked up for the ££££ the universities need.

A lot of these room are tiny and claustrophobic. They have had their liberty taken away unlawfully.

Students are posting pictures of locked fire gates. They are prisoners, being out at risk.

No-one normal should be ok with this.

Dashie Mon 28-Sep-20 19:15:54

I just heard this today! A friend’s niece has had her key card wiped so it can not unlock the front door of her hall of residence.
The whole hall of students are literally locked in.
Covid-19 is devastating but how can this be right?

Itisasecret Mon 28-Sep-20 19:16:05

We aren’t. There was backtracking as some social media ‘savvy’ lawyers took this on yesterday. It wasn’t lawful what they were doing.

JamieLeeCurtains Mon 28-Sep-20 19:16:11

*false pretences

MarshaBradyo Mon 28-Sep-20 19:16:12

It is bad as I assume not all have positive case in the flat, but blanket isolation

JamieLeeCurtains Mon 28-Sep-20 19:17:22

Leeds fire & rescue service have been alerted on Twitter

AmelieTaylor Mon 28-Sep-20 19:17:34

I feel for the ones who have been sensible, but many of them still organised freshers events for themselves...absolute stupidity.
Hundreds have tested positive - do you really want them out there spreading it around?

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Mon 28-Sep-20 19:18:20

JamieLeeCurtains

No, I'm not ok with this.

These 18 year olds were lured to these expensive halls under false preferences and locked up for the ££££ the universities need.

A lot of these room are tiny and claustrophobic. They have had their liberty taken away unlawfully.

Students are posting pictures of locked fire gates. They are prisoners, being out at risk.

No-one normal should be ok with this.

Jesus, that's horrific.

jdoejnr1 Mon 28-Sep-20 19:18:37

127 students have tested positive hence the lockdown. But what did they think would happen when so may were flouting the rules?

Itisasecret Mon 28-Sep-20 19:19:13

AmelieTaylor

I feel for the ones who have been sensible, but many of them still organised freshers events for themselves...absolute stupidity.
Hundreds have tested positive - do you really want them out there spreading it around?

Under no circumstances is it legal to lock up anyone, let alone healthy people and compromise their safety by blocking fire exits.

What nightmare have we walked into where people in society think this is justified?

PicsInRed Mon 28-Sep-20 19:20:15

Because most people aren't too sharp and fail to appreciate the banality of evil (and how this begins as the "slow boiled frog"). They don't understand how authoritarianism usually begins - by the willing acquiescence of the people.

More charitably, their lives and backgrounds have been so safe and lacking in evil that they dont appreciate how it can creep up on you in a benign and caring disguise which fools all.

dingledongle Mon 28-Sep-20 19:20:19

I am not ok with it and I hope these students remember this when they vote wink

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in