Talk

Advanced search

DS has sore throat but no other Covid symptoms

(12 Posts)
thetrees Sun 27-Sep-20 18:26:27

What do I do?

I'm not going to take him for a test, as he doesn't meet the threshold but the ZOE app says sore throat and fatigue can be symptoms of Covid in kids.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll keep him off school until symptom free. Is there anything else I should do?

OP’s posts: |
Pickypolly Sun 27-Sep-20 18:29:02

What you would normally do.
Paracetamol for pain/discomfort, loads of fluids, keep an eye if he gets worse or anything changes and you are worried, 111.
Hope he feels better soon flowers

thetrees Sun 27-Sep-20 18:30:59

Thanks - I was worried that he might have Covid, our youngest might be asymptomatic and we would end up responsible for closing two year bubbles down! Clearly overthinking

OP’s posts: |
Hollyhead Sun 27-Sep-20 18:44:58

Keep him off until he feels better and although you’re not required to minimise contact with others wherever possible.

covetingthepreciousthings Sun 27-Sep-20 18:51:12

I wouldn't test unless he develops any of the three symptoms but I do think I would keep him off school until his sore throats gone or better.

thetrees Sun 27-Sep-20 19:52:11

Thanks yes, that's kind of what I was thinking.

OP’s posts: |
Pickagoddamnname Sun 27-Sep-20 20:43:09

I wouldn’t keep him off for a sore throat. Send him to school

OpheliasCrayon Sun 27-Sep-20 20:49:22

If he's well enough in himself send him to school. No reason to be off

SpeedofaSloth Sun 27-Sep-20 20:49:58

I would send him to school,if he doesn't develop a cough/ fever/ loss of taste or smell.

AgnesNaismith Sun 27-Sep-20 20:52:01

Our schools have both said if unwell it’s best to stay at home to monitor for 48 hours regardless of the symptoms. I think this helps evaluate any secondary and possible Covid symptoms. It is difficult but both children have been off for two days each due to this - worth it if everyone does it.

LilyPond2 Sun 27-Sep-20 21:29:30

I wouldn't send him in with a sore throat at present. I would keep him off until either (a) his sore throat has gone because he's fought off whatever it is; or (b) his infection has developed further symptoms, in which case you decide whether to test or not based on what those further symptoms are.

StealthPolarBear Sun 27-Sep-20 21:31:12

Dd has a sore throat and is currently feeling unwell with it. If she feels better in the morning I'll send her in. If not ill keep her off but I'm not planning to get her tested

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in