Talk

Advanced search

Coping with Covid-19

(5 Posts)
yorkiepuddies Thu 24-Sep-20 15:47:08

I’m the sort of person who likes to know what I’m dealing with. I always thought that we would be living with Covid-19 for a long time but initially thought we might be out of the woods by the spring. No-one can see into the future, least of all me, but today it hit me that even next 2021 is likely to be a right off. Even if a vaccination is found, it is going to take several months to roll it out to the population so we could be into 2022 before this turns around.

My mental health is taking a hit and in a lot of ways I wish there would be an end to the “It will only be 2 weeks” and “It’ll be over by the Christmas” and “By the spring we'll hopefully have a vaccination.” I ‘get’ that no-one has a crystal ball and can really say how this will pan out but I wish we could be hit with not the best or worst scenario but the realistic one. I don’t really know what I’m getting at. Just tired of all this. Does anybody else feel that the only way to cope with this is to live life on a day by day, week by week basis? Not to plan too much into the future? I’m the sort of person that is always planning, what I’m doing next month, in six months, next year and I can’t do this anymore. This pandemic has brought it home to me how little control we have over many things in our lives. What things are you doing to make the lack of certainty more bearable?

OP’s posts: |
BabyLlamaZen Thu 24-Sep-20 15:51:07

Hi op I hope you're OK. I was also a planner and I agree that I think the best way to live is think about the next few months at a time. I'm seeing it as a unique point in life to reevaluate many things, change the tasks I do and be more in the present.

What is your home situation like?

I'm currently looking forward to autumn and Christmas and preparing for that (small intimate family). Seeing different friends at a distance on some lovely walks near me and trying different takeaway coffees (yum!) I love ticking things off and making a list of all places to try and all walks to go on.

I also have a baby now and house so busy in that sense so that things go by.

BabyLlamaZen Thu 24-Sep-20 15:52:15

I can't see beyond Christmas atm so trying to focus on the seasons ahead of us. smile

What king of things did you normally plan to do?

yorkiepuddies Thu 24-Sep-20 15:57:35

The main thing is usually Travel and Theatre - both off the cards for now. Fortunately, I have a nice home life and enjoy simple things. I've been coping quite well but then every now and then I get a wave of "Oh my God! I can't believe this is happening." I plan to do lots of walking this winter and have bought new winter coats etc and will try to make things nice and cosy. I was doing some online courses during lockdown but lost my mojo with that as struggling to concentrate. I usually love reading but at the moment I can only read non-fiction that I can dib into - can't concentrate on fiction at the moment. How odd?

yorkiepuddies Thu 24-Sep-20 15:59:04

@BabyLlamaZen
I love your idea of listing walks you want to do and ticking them off. I quite like photography so maybe I will do a list like you and take my camera and see if I can get some nice shots. I'm always taking photos in the summer then the camera seems to get shelved in the winter except for events.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in