Talk

Advanced search

“Date symptoms started” - meaning?

(14 Posts)
Yoffel Tue 15-Sep-20 18:55:45

If you started feeling ill with non-Covid if the ‘three’ cv symptoms, eg sneezing/blocked and runny nose on Day 1, but on Day 3 you also got one if the ‘three’ symptoms (cough or fever or loss of taste/smell), what date do you state as the start date if your ‘symptoms’? Day 1 (non-cv symptoms) or Day 3 (cv symptoms)?

OP’s posts: |
DamitJanet Tue 15-Sep-20 19:13:40

My understanding is the day you started experiencing Covid symptoms.

LilyPond2 Tue 15-Sep-20 19:18:48

I would say the day you first noticed that you were not feeling 100% - even if that date is earlier than the date any "official" symptoms appeared.

Jenasaurus Tue 15-Sep-20 19:22:38

Can I ask something, my DD works at a nursery and herself and coworkers have all got sore throats and blocked noses but no other symptoms, I said sore throat could be a symptom but she said that it isnt, and its only cough, temp and loss of taste you need to test for so they are all continuing to work, am I just being over anxious or is she correct. It probably is just a cold they all have as the week following returning to nursery always brings colds.

Plussizejumpsuit Tue 15-Sep-20 19:22:46

I would say day you started feeling unwell at all. But I suppose it is worth thinking about why they are asking and I think it is so isolation time can be measured. And contacts can be traced. So if you're unsure and it's positive best to go a few days either way. Ie stay in a bit longer and trace any contacts from earliest date if that makes sense.

Yoffel Tue 15-Sep-20 19:27:54

Thanks for everyone’s input. It’s also because after ‘Day 5’ you’re told you’re too late to get a test.

Jenasauus - I think you’re DD is right. You can/should only try to get a test if you have either of, or a combination of, a cough/fever/loss is taste or smell. Fingers crossed for you that she doesn’t develop any if the ‘three’ symptoms as even if it isn’t cv19 it’s still as massive pain to try and get a test and isolate whilst you’re waiting it out. Sending healthy vibes your DD’s way smile

Jenasaurus Tue 15-Sep-20 19:29:46

Yoffel

Thanks for everyone’s input. It’s also because after ‘Day 5’ you’re told you’re too late to get a test.

Jenasauus - I think you’re DD is right. You can/should only try to get a test if you have either of, or a combination of, a cough/fever/loss is taste or smell. Fingers crossed for you that she doesn’t develop any if the ‘three’ symptoms as even if it isn’t cv19 it’s still as massive pain to try and get a test and isolate whilst you’re waiting it out. Sending healthy vibes your DD’s way smile

Thanks Yoffel, I think she is probably correct as well. Its still a horrible cold and she feels awful, but everyone at the nursery has it so none of them are off or it would have to close.

SummerHouse Tue 15-Sep-20 19:31:29

Soar throat is a covid symptom and more common than a cough for children according to one study.

However its also NOT a symptom that requires isolation and testing and it's very common with other illnesses.

SummerHouse Tue 15-Sep-20 19:32:14

*sore

Jenasaurus Tue 15-Sep-20 19:35:09

SummerHouse

Soar throat is a covid symptom and more common than a cough for children according to one study.

However its also NOT a symptom that requires isolation and testing and it's very common with other illnesses.

My DD is 25 smile so hopefully would have the adult symptoms.

SummerHouse Tue 15-Sep-20 19:50:20

Ah yes good point!

This study is interesting though... But not relevant. covid.joinzoe.com/post/back-to-school

Jenasaurus Tue 15-Sep-20 20:08:05

SummerHouse

Ah yes good point!

This study is interesting though... But not relevant. covid.joinzoe.com/post/back-to-school

Thanks for the link, I spent a while looking at all the different information on the site so thank you smile

violetfern Wed 16-Sep-20 09:06:23

When I spoke to 111 about possibly needing a test after having cold symptoms/sore throat and throat clearing for a week then developing a continuous cough I was told that the day I started coughing continuously was day 1. Makes no sense to me as by then potentially I’ve had it longer and would mean isolating for longer than necessary if test is positive! Also potential to miss the 5 day window for getting tested. All we can go on is what we are advised I suppose 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yoffel Wed 16-Sep-20 12:53:35

Thanks Violet. I also spoke to 111 and they said they ‘would assume’ it’s the day that the coughing started. They didn’t sound awfully sure but it’s good to hear you were told the same thing 👍

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in