Talk

Advanced search

Colleague with symptoms

(6 Posts)
pinkpip100 Mon 14-Sep-20 18:52:12

A colleague that I worked with on Saturday (in a shop) has contacted me today to say she has had a high temperature and intermittent shivers since Sat night. She has been trying to book a test but no luck so far. I know I don't have to isolate unless she tests positive, but what if she can't get a test? It feels very odd to be carrying on as normal...?

OP’s posts: |
StatisticalSense Mon 14-Sep-20 18:54:46

Presumably your company want you remain at work unless and until she tests positive, but outside of work I'd be very cautious and try not to leave the house (and definitely rearrange any plans with anyone vulnerable).

pinkpip100 Mon 14-Sep-20 19:06:06

It's a bit more complicated than that - it's only an occasional job (a friend owns the shop) - for my main job I work at a nursery school. I'll let my headteacher know of course....but otherwise I guess I'll just be as careful as possible.

pinkpip100 Mon 14-Sep-20 19:07:23

And to complicate things even more, dd is potentially vulnerable (she was on the shielding list but I'm pretty sure will be taken off - her consultant just said we need to be cautious). Oh what a mess.

whatnow41 Mon 14-Sep-20 19:11:45

Were you not able to practice social distancing at work on Saturday? With regular hand washing and remaining socially distanced, the chances of you catching it are greatly reduced. If you can't remain socially distanced at work, your workplace shouldn't be open and operating, as its putting people at risk.

You're right, you don't isolate unless she tests positive or you develop symptoms. It's too soon for you to book a test, but if you are positive and asymptomatic then testing on Wed or Thu would be more accurate.

Personally I would try to test on Wed, and ensure I am maintaining strict social distancing and hand hygiene until then.

pinkpip100 Mon 14-Sep-20 19:26:42

Yes we do socially distance and wear masks whenever we are customer facing - most of the day I was in a different area to this colleague. I wouldn't say we had any closer contact than would happen between staff & customers in a shop, but obviously we were in the same building together all day. I'm probably overthinking it, but will of course be very careful for now (even more so than usual). So hard at home though as dd has learning difficulties and likes lots of physical contact.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in