Talk

Advanced search

Very ill child can’t get test

(40 Posts)
Nicedayforawedding Mon 14-Sep-20 00:22:09

Can’t get a test but ds has today developed cold symptoms, high temperature and sore throat

This evening he is confused, still high temp and rambling.Taken ages to get through to 111 and out of hours GP is ringing.

No tests available though!

OP’s posts: |
oceanbreezy Mon 14-Sep-20 01:05:14

Confused and rambling is really not a good sign! Hopefully the out of hours go will ring soon.

oceanbreezy Mon 14-Sep-20 01:05:31

*out of hours gp

oceanbreezy Mon 14-Sep-20 01:06:27

make sure you keep checking him, children can deteriorate quickly

HappyBumbleBee Mon 14-Sep-20 01:43:31

Hopefully you've had a call and are getting help. If not and his temp is still high strip and wrap him in a towel soaked in tepid water x when a child shivers it's mean their temp is coming down too x
Thinking of you and sending best wishes for your son x

Bluewavescrashing Mon 14-Sep-20 01:48:00

Hope he gets better soon.

bumblingbovine49 Mon 14-Sep-20 02:04:29

If he is confused and you can't get through to a GP, please go to a&e. I don't want to scare you but my son had a very high temperature when he was younger, that wouldn't come down easily with paracetamol.

He ended up in a confused and rambling state and also had a seizure. It was the confusion that thay made the doctors at the hospital suspect meningitis .Luckily it was viral and not severe so he made a full recovery in a few weeks but it is worth getting that checked urgently.

Susannahmoody Mon 14-Sep-20 02:09:48

I'd go to a and e personally

Bol87 Mon 14-Sep-20 07:32:01

Regardless of the illness, you should treat it as you normally would. If your child seems very unwell, call 111 or 999 or go to hospital! It doesn’t matter if it’s covid or any other virus!

BrokenBrit Mon 14-Sep-20 07:35:29

How is he this morning? Hope you have got medical attention flowers.

Thisisnotnormal69 Mon 14-Sep-20 07:36:23

Hope he is ok

icecreamconie Mon 14-Sep-20 07:45:22

Availability of a test isn't the concern here, it's the need for medical attention. I hope you managed to get him seen and he is better soon

Jellybean27 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:08:00

How did you get on OP? Hope he’s doing better!

spacerocket Mon 14-Sep-20 09:30:11

OP did you manage to take your child to hospital? I hope he is on the mend. thanksthanks this testing situation is crazy.

MRex Mon 14-Sep-20 09:34:53

I hope you went to hospital, how is he today?

ComDummings Mon 14-Sep-20 09:37:31

Confused and rambling is the big worry, did you get hold of a doctor? If not then A&E is the best bet. Good luck

lasangoles Mon 14-Sep-20 09:39:39

Hope all is OK OP

Subordinatethatclause Mon 14-Sep-20 19:08:06

Really hope he's been seen by a doctor by now 🤞🏼

Namara Mon 14-Sep-20 20:16:04

Really hope all is ok xx

Porcupineinwaiting Mon 14-Sep-20 21:23:42

Forget the test. Whether he has COVID or not is not as important as ensuring he gets the right treatment, it's not like there is a COVID specific drug they can give him. Persue medical treatment

SomethingM1ss1ng Mon 14-Sep-20 21:42:16

Isn’t it best that you take him to a&e? Might end up being a wasted journey but better safe than sorry

Nicedayforawedding Mon 14-Sep-20 21:53:34

He picked up a bit during the day but then had periods of just having to lie down. The out of hours GP just advised to keep an eye on him and gave me things to look out for.

I’ve managed to book a home test first thing this morning to test for Covid-19. I tried many times before I got through.

He’s just woken up again drenched in sweat and rambling just like last night. He’s had ibuprofen before bed though so I thought he would be ok this evening.

It seems more than a normal cold but when I told school about it this morning the teacher said she hoped to see him back tomorrow. I was surprised she wasn’t concerned by the high temperature and tickly throat symptoms I have told her about. She said many of them have colds and are in school as usual.

OP’s posts: |
ivegotthisyeah Mon 14-Sep-20 22:05:25

I might be wrong but at the start of this I am sure we were told not to give ibrofuen just paracetamol- I may be wrong though hope he picks up soon

oceanbreezy Mon 14-Sep-20 22:05:27

You need to take him to a&e now. Drenched in sweat and rambling is seriously bad. Please take him now!!!

MRex Mon 14-Sep-20 22:05:35

I think you need more real life medical advice. Never mind testing, the issue is that he's rambling.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in