Talk

Advanced search

Horrible taste in mouth not loss of taste

(54 Posts)
SeekingCoffee33 Sat 12-Sep-20 14:43:33

Hello,

I just wanted your opinions please. My sense of taste has been off for a few days now. I can’t say I’ve lost taste, but I have a permanent horrible sour taste that I can’t get rid of. My sense of smell is fine. I am otherwise fine just very tired.

Would you get a test? I know tests are in short supply so I don’t want to get one if I don’t need it. I can’t decide if I’m overreacting as like I said I haven’t lost the sense of taste completely... it’s just a really horrible sour taste. I’ve tried to get rid of it with enhanced tooth brushing, mints etc but unfortunately it won’t go.

What would you do?

OP’s posts: |
SeekingCoffee33 Sat 12-Sep-20 14:44:41

Tiredness could just be a flare of Fibromialgia but not normally this tired

FlamingoAndJohn Sat 12-Sep-20 14:45:36

Could you be pregnant?

SeekingCoffee33 Sat 12-Sep-20 14:47:07

I don’t think so. I really wish I could be as we have been trying but AF came last week.

Itsalwayssunnyupnorth Sat 12-Sep-20 14:47:23

Could you be pregnant?

SeekingCoffee33 Sat 12-Sep-20 14:48:35

I will get a test and rule that one out just in case there’s a slim chance but it was definitely heavy enough for AF

Itsalwayssunnyupnorth Sat 12-Sep-20 14:49:02

Sorry x posted! A weird taste in my mouth was my first sign both times! Hop you feel brighter soon, not sure re covid test as I think the guidance is loss of taste rather than altered taste?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 12-Sep-20 14:49:36

I had that a while ago and I think it was either something to do with a new mouthwash (that I no longer use) or a metal crown that I've got a problem with.

cautiouscovidity Sat 12-Sep-20 14:51:41

I was going to suggest pregnancy too as that was one of my first symptoms. I also had a very AF-like implantation bleed that I just assumed was AF and so was quite shocked to find I was pregnant at 6 weeks.

SeekingCoffee33 Sat 12-Sep-20 15:47:40

I’d love to be pregnant but I think it’s unlikely. I’ll get a pregnancy test anyway just in case. I haven’t changed toothpaste or mouthwash or diet. Very confusing!

DBML Sat 12-Sep-20 15:55:42

I thought my taste was off last week. I kept tasting a ‘detergent’ like flavour.

Then towards the end of the week I popped my water bottle, towel and headphones onto the exercise bike and I popped to the gym bathroom before starting my morning workout.

On coming out of the toilet, I spotted DH liberally spraying my bike (water bottle included) with anti-bac and cleaning it all down ready for my use.

Probably not very helpful for you, but could you be tasting ‘something’ that’s accidentally getting onto plates/ food/ bottles etc?

StatisticalSense Sat 12-Sep-20 16:05:37

I believe the official advice would be to self isolate and test for the change in the sense of taste.

IceCreamAndCandyfloss Sat 12-Sep-20 16:26:42

Have you had heartburn/indigestion? Could it be acid reflux?

RedRiverShore Sat 12-Sep-20 16:39:20

The taste I had when pregnant was sort of metallic, I was never sick just this taste for weeks on end

Ethelfleda Sat 12-Sep-20 16:51:38

No, don’t get a test. You don’t have any of the main symptoms.

Ethelfleda Sat 12-Sep-20 16:53:25

Sorry ignore me - thought it was only a loss of taste... but to be fair the NHS does say a change to your taste as well blush

SpeedofaSloth Sat 12-Sep-20 16:56:16

Gum problems?

LittleRen Sat 12-Sep-20 16:58:40

We have all had awful colds, the worst cold I have had in a long time. I know it was a cold as we all had negative Covid tests - for two days I had a disgusting taste in my mouth and a few ulcers on my tongue.

It's probably a cold but you need to test.

TheWindOnTheMoon Sat 12-Sep-20 17:02:41

I'm fairly certain I had Covid back in February. I had a weird taste in my mouth, kind of metallic, swollen glands, and a really sore nose & sinuses. It lasted a couple of weeks. No test, obviously, so don't know for certain. Definitely not pregnant (peri-menopausal).

Silversun83 Sat 12-Sep-20 17:02:42

Yes, the guidance is to isolate and test for a loss OR change of taste.

Puffthemagicdragongoestobed Sat 12-Sep-20 17:09:29

I have had a strange chemical after taste a couple of weeks now for different things that I have eaten, I cannot find a common thread though. And not everything tastes strange either. I took a COVID test last week and it came back negative. No other symptoms and fairly certain I am not pregnant. Even fresh dishes from the dishwasher smell odd. Really wonder what it is.

CarrieFour Sat 12-Sep-20 17:10:49

I'm sure I've read a thing years back where pine nuts had done this to someone.

Have you eaten any recently?

dementedpixie Sat 12-Sep-20 17:11:25

Have you eaten pine nuts? They can also cause strange tastes

CarrieFour Sat 12-Sep-20 17:12:15

Found this googling just now so I didn't dream it!

"Eating pine nuts can occasionally cause some people to experience a bitter or metallic taste lasting from a few days up to 2 weeks. This taste disturbance has been referred to as 'pine mouth' or '*pine nut* syndrome'. Not all people who consume pine nuts become afflicted with the taste disturbance."

chergar Sat 12-Sep-20 17:16:24

I had similar a few weeks ago, I could taste "something" and could smell a smell that no one else in the house did, I booked a test and got a negative result, better to rule it out and not risk spreading it if you do have it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in