Talk

Advanced search

Vulnerable nursery staff

(6 Posts)
Mummacan Fri 11-Sep-20 08:28:38

Hello! Are there any vulnerable nursery staff here that are back at work after shielding? Have your employers put anything in place to protect you from Coronavirus? I’ve been back a week in a very busy nursery setting with 80 kids across the week and no bubbles and there’s hardly any difference to before the pandemic. I’ve not had an individual risk assessment which I’ve found out I should have had. I’m feeling very anxious and vulnerable.

OP’s posts: |
kimlo Fri 11-Sep-20 09:09:14

why are you not in bubbles?

Mummacan Fri 11-Sep-20 10:40:16

We have a separate bubble with foundation, but no idea! We don’t have all the children in at once but we are exposed to all the preschool children throughout the week.

kimlo Fri 11-Sep-20 17:37:48

have you not seen the general risk assessment?

I wouldn't be happy about that.

To answer your original question the rooms are bubbles and we can't mix, so no covering in other rooms, no joining other rooms at the end of the day. Extra cleaning, and we are spending as much time outside as possible, each room has their own garden. We have to stay 2 meters away from other staff, not the children obviously.

I have my own risk asessment and I have to mix with as few people as possible.

Do you have a union you can ring for advice?

Mummacan Fri 11-Sep-20 18:40:48

Thank you, that’s really helpful. I’ve seen the overall risk assessment for the whole school. On paper it looks ok regarding things such as parents having to wear masks if on school grounds. The children are being encouraged to wash their hands more etc but I requested hand sanitiser and bins in each room for staff but this hasn’t been done as of yet so I can’t throw away tissues or wash my hands without potentially leaving children on their own. I made this request in plenty of time. I have been put on one to one care with a child on the spectrum who puts lots of things in his mouth and lashes out. I’m often retrieving things from his mouth and can’t leave his side due to his behaviour. This has been a new role for me since I’ve been shielding. One of his parents lives in a high risk area. I feel so anxious about this! I have contacted my union, they will take it up as they where supposed to have done a risk assessment, but I’d rather not take it to that point. Everyone in my nursery is lovely, the headteacher is lovely, I really don’t want to make things difficult but I also feel that this really is not right! My instincts say I shouldn’t be in the situations I’m in. I’ve asked for a risk assessment and I need to pluck up the courage to voice my concerns - it helps to hear others experiences.

kimlo Sat 12-Sep-20 08:12:29

you need to voice your concerns and if that doesn't work let the union take over.

Should you not have bins in the rooms anyway? What do you do with your rubbish?

Could you get a hand sanatiser that clips to you? I've seen clips that attach to bottles advertised.

You should have a risk assessment, thats in the guidance.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in