Talk

Advanced search

Swabbing babies/toddlers

(15 Posts)
Zarahaider88 Thu 10-Sep-20 11:21:56

DS1 was in reception for a grand total of 3 days before getting a runny nose ( no temp or cough). I have always I kept him off (when he was in nursery) even when he has has a mild cold (even pre corona) just to allow his body to recover anyway I kept him off and he passed whatever he had to his younger sister (2 years old) and brother(4 months old) Dd got a tempreture so we have isolated as a family. Tests due to arrive today. Her tempreture is gone now and both on the mend. Baby has a slight cough but not persistent. But school has said we all need to test negative before he’s allowed back

My question is how far deep does the swab need to go in the nose? I’ve read conflicting advice

OP’s posts: |
Zarahaider88 Thu 10-Sep-20 12:08:49

Bump anyone?

Rupertpenrysmistress Thu 10-Sep-20 12:13:53

I swab adults and it is really far back, can you watch a video on YouTube to help. I don't envy you swabbing a little one the adults I swab often complain. Good luck.

Morred Thu 10-Sep-20 12:18:02

In the guidance leaflet, it says 'until you feel resistance' - I did my nearly 2 year old the other day and it didn't feel like I had to go too far back (remember their heads are smaller, so the swab doesn't actually go in as far as it would on an adult). We got a negative (not inconclusive) so we obviously managed to get enough for a sample. It made him sneeze and it clearly wasn't pleasant for him, but he was absolutely fine seconds after I stopped.

I found it was helpful to have someone to hold his head still while I swabbed - I think small children would find it hard to hold still.

Porcupineinwaiting Thu 10-Sep-20 12:20:32

It should go into the nasal sinus (really far in) but fgs don't try this on a toddler! Get them to blow their nose as best you can then get it as far in as you feel comfortable with and certainly stop if you meet resistance (as in it feels like it wont go further). A promise of a sweetie for staying still may help.

CustardyCreams Thu 10-Sep-20 12:23:07

Push gently until you can’t push. My toddler sneezed and giggled. No trauma!

Cawillmay Wed 23-Sep-20 10:33:41

@Zarahaider88 how did it go? I’ve to swab my 10 month old at a drive through site this afternoon and I just don’t know how I’m going to manage it!? Any advice from anyone?

Zarahaider88 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:07:29

@Cawillmay I did the nostrils only. The baby was the easiest to do but ours where home tests. The toddler was trying to push it out so took several attempts. You don’t need to put it up the nose too much but my babies eyes did water a bit and results came back negative

Cawillmay Wed 23-Sep-20 11:17:36

@Zarahaider88 thank you and glad you got your negative results.
Great..Hoping the nostrils will be easier. At least she’ll be strapped into car seat so not able to move too much. Did you have another adult helping? Id have to bring my other kids if dh cane too so don’t think it’s an option.
Winter is going to be a nightmare with the amount of Babies and kids who get temps!!

Zarahaider88 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:03:31

I had my Dh holding the baby but I can imagine being strapped in the car seat would do the same thing.

It is going to be a nightmare all three of my dc are 5 and under and get temperature with every cold they catch specially the baby and toddler do my little boy in reception will be missing out on a lot of school sad

Good luck hope it goes well just make sure you don’t go up too much. They have tiny noses so stop at the slightest resistance

Cawillmay Wed 23-Sep-20 14:23:02

@Zarahaider88 thank you...it’s done now. So horrible😣
She was shaking her head back and forth so much so I’ve no idea if I’ve done it sufficiently..if it comes back inconclusive and I’ve to do another one I’ll get a home one so DH can hold her head. What a nightmare.
Here’s hoping we don’t have to do this too often!! Thanks for your help @Zarahaider88
🤞🤞 for negative result!!

Zarahaider88 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:32:57

@Cawillmay awww glad it’s over the poor babies having to go through this sad fingers crossed it will come back negative. I thought I hadn’t done my toddlers sufficiently either as she kept pushing my hand back and I had to do it several time’s and felt I hadn’t done it long enough but it didn’t come back inconclusive

Cawillmay Wed 23-Sep-20 14:52:42

@Zarahaider88 oh that’s good to know thank you. Crossing everything here..return to homeschool for longer than a couple of days will be the end of me!!

Cawillmay Thu 24-Sep-20 09:24:39

@Zarahaider88 we got a negative result this morning 😅 very pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it’s all gone given the horror stories.
Thanks for your advice x

Zarahaider88 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:28:34

@Cawillmay that’s great! Glad you got your results back so quick. Pleasantly surprised! Hopefully it’s a sign that the testing system is getting back on track smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in