Talk

Advanced search

What is happening with boarding schools?

(12 Posts)
notevenat20 Sun 30-Aug-20 07:45:39

I know they sent their pupils home in lockdown but what is happening now? Are they all going back in a few days time? Is Eton running as usual?

OP’s posts: |
MayFayre Sun 30-Aug-20 08:11:55

Boarders came back a few weeks ago to quarantine before term started (local school that has some boarders, not Eton).

BunsyGirl Sun 30-Aug-20 08:40:34

The overseas boarders are back at my DCs school. They are currently in quarantine at the school for two weeks before term begins.

Toomboom Sun 30-Aug-20 08:45:35

Some overseas borders back, quarantining for two weeks. School itself restarts on Wednesday. Don't know about other boarding schools.

Pipandmum Sun 30-Aug-20 08:49:12

Boarders from abroad were asked to come back two weeks before school starts in case of need to quarantine. Rest arrive day before as usual.

Dobbi03 Sun 30-Aug-20 09:11:45

My DD returns on Wed. Much more well organised than the local comp. They still haven't fully decided on what bubbles they are but there are around 120 in the lower school which is less than a yeargroup at local comp. Temp check daily and tested immediately if covid is suspected. Parents to be temp checked before entry to boarding too. As above international students were advised to arrive two weeks before term started.

reefedsail Sun 30-Aug-20 09:15:40

At DS's prep, full and weekly boarding is on as normal, flexi is off. Day pupils can't now book in for breakfast or tea, but can sit in a classroom with boarders all day confused. Anyway- whatever it takes- I'm not questioning it.

espressotogo Sun 30-Aug-20 09:49:42

My Dd goes back on Thursday. They have asked that they all stay in school for the first exeat at the end of September and they can not leave to go to local shop, town as they could before. They will review the situation for the October break. She will need to take lots of snacks with her 😊 but is desperate to get back

madnessitellyou Sun 30-Aug-20 09:50:36

Overseas students have been arriving in time to quarantine. At DD’s school, boarders will in effect be treated as a household. It sounds much the same as @reefedsail described but as far as I’m concerned anything to get school open is fine by me!

notevenat20 Sun 30-Aug-20 09:50:59

This is really interesting, thank you.

OP’s posts: |
unchienandalusia Sun 30-Aug-20 10:18:47

@reefedsail same at our prep. No flexi but you can book a specific night a week for the full or half term. Boarders are in a second bubble.

All after school clubs are on in bubbles (which consist of two year groups of max 50 pupils) and aren't as varied as usual.

Mini buses are running. Breakfast club isn't.

No fixtures until next half term at the earliest.

No parents allowed out of cars.

TheSeedsOfADream Sun 30-Aug-20 17:12:02

Overseas students at the school I have contacts with have been in house since the first week of August.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in