Talk

Advanced search

Poss daft question

(13 Posts)
tenlittlecygnets Thu 20-Aug-20 12:29:17

DD's boyfriend's dad has a high temp today. Dd's bf saw him yesterday and saw dd yesterday. Dd did not see bf's dad. Bf's dad and bf have Covid tests today.

Do we all have to self isolate until results come out? Or just dd??

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Thu 20-Aug-20 12:32:24

I dont think your dd needs to do anything without direct contact with the dad.

MRex Thu 20-Aug-20 12:40:07

It could still be something else. Much too soon for the son to be infectious unless he has also seen him on preceeding days, he should not get a test yet without symptoms. Your DD's boyfriend will need to isolate for 14 days unless his dad's result is negative, because his dad would have been in the most infectious stage and even if he gets a negative test now he might be incubating the virus and get unwell any time in the next 2 weeks. Your DD will not need to isolate, but should keep an eye out for symptoms anyway.

HipTightOnions Thu 20-Aug-20 12:49:04

DD will need to isolate if bf
a) develops symptoms (so a second test needed)
b) tests positive at this point.

tenlittlecygnets Thu 20-Aug-20 12:56:54

I was wondering how long Covid symptoms took to develop/how long after transmission you can detect the virus.

DD's bf has been staying with his dad this week, returned yesterday. so we're ok to go out today....

tenlittlecygnets Thu 20-Aug-20 13:04:58

And the rest of us don't have to isolate?

dementedpixie Thu 20-Aug-20 13:11:48

No. Not unless you were contacted by test and trace after a positive test

tenlittlecygnets Thu 20-Aug-20 14:03:08

How many degrees of separation are there? We have never met bf's dad. Have not seen bf for three weeks.

CoffeeandCroissant Thu 20-Aug-20 14:24:53

Symptoms take up to 14 days to develop for almost all symptomatic cases (apart from a tiny minority who take longer) but for the majority of people it takes around 5 to 6 days.

LizzieMacQueen Thu 20-Aug-20 14:32:08

I would err on the side of caution and ask your DD to self isolate until the results are known. I'd say (with my limited knowledge) that if the Dad is positive then there's a very high chance the son will be too. You said he'd spent the last 3 weeks with him. And that would mean your DD is very likely to have been exposed.

tenlittlecygnets Thu 20-Aug-20 16:20:02

No, DD's bf spent five days with his dad, returning yesterday.

Will wait to hear what his test result is. They were told they should have results in ten hours, so late today.

LizzieMacQueen Thu 20-Aug-20 17:10:33

Ah sorry, I mis read. Fingers crossed that it's a negative.

tenlittlecygnets Fri 21-Aug-20 12:08:52

All tests came back last night. All negative. Phew!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in