Talk

Advanced search

Germany extending furlough to 24 months!

(131 Posts)
latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 20:49:11

Saw that Germany was planning to extend their furlough scheme to 24 months because they don't expect the crisis to ease any time soon and they want to help citizens.

Made me feel pretty envy really, UK is going to see a sackload of job losses over the next few months.

I always felt the French plan for part time furlough was better than our scheme. UK scheme was very generous short term but has a hard ending.

OP’s posts: |
Keepdistance Tue 18-Aug-20 22:15:37

I think extending ours would be a good idea. Some businesses will slow down over winter witgout having had much summer. If any.
Certaly think things like soft play may end up shut again.
But also some people could end up si for 24d if the last person gets it on day 24
I think with masks they are not intending on shutti g shops etc/zoos anything with good SD.
So basically our schools will shut..

TheGreatWave Tue 18-Aug-20 22:22:35

How are they going to finance it? I'm not sure Germany has it right, surely that is just delaying the inevitable and also likely to increase feelings of resentment between those working and those on furlough.

macaroniinapot Tue 18-Aug-20 22:24:51

Are you interpreting this correctly? Saying they don't expect the crisis to end anytime soon is quite dramatic, given how things are moving.

The economic damage is an entirely different matter though.

latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 22:26:02

TheGreatWave

How are they going to finance it? I'm not sure Germany has it right, surely that is just delaying the inevitable and also likely to increase feelings of resentment between those working and those on furlough.

They pay a bit less than our scheme, and you can do it part time.

I expect they have costed it out.

Ours is ending too abruptly imo, between now and Christmas will be awful.

Theyweretheworstoftimes Tue 18-Aug-20 22:26:44

German Tax rates are higher than ours see photo

latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 22:27:33

macaroniinapot

Are you interpreting this correctly? Saying they don't expect the crisis to end anytime soon is quite dramatic, given how things are moving.

The economic damage is an entirely different matter though.

I guess the fact they have halted their lockdown easing and are seeing some more cases may be affecting their thinking?

latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 22:29:41

42% over 55keuros doesn't seem that far off our 40% over £50k?

Uhoh2020 Tue 18-Aug-20 22:29:59

Errrm I'm on the fence with this tbh.
1. No business can stay closed fully and stay afloat just by paying a percentage of the staffs wages there will be other overheads too that need paying like rent, utilities, insurance that furlough doesn't cover.
2.if the business is open but on reduced staff, if it can survive 24 months without certain employees then they can survive indefinitely without them so its pointless keeping them hanging on.
3.not sure what the benefit system is like in Germany but in the UK many who are furloughed at 80% are now receiving below the NLW with a potential to be even worse off if it goes to 70 or 60%
4.the longer furlough and other schemes go on the longer and higher taxes become it all needs to be paid back in some way or another

boys3 Tue 18-Aug-20 22:32:39

Graun article on it www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/18/germany-to-extend-coronavirus-furlough-to-24-months

imagine Times, FT, DT have coverage too behind their paywalls

latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 22:33:08

I read today the UK could see 2m job losses. That would be horrible.

This scheme is one that Germany used in 2010 apparently, is the reason their economy didn't get so badly affected.

I'm envy jealous.

latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 22:36:19

I wasnt furloughed myself, bye, I can just see what's coming in my area and wish it wasn't.

latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 22:36:53

bye = btw

frolicmum Tue 18-Aug-20 22:38:02

@latticechaos

50k after tax in the UK per month: £3120
50k after tax in Germany: €2790

It's not that much but it is a difference.

frolicmum Tue 18-Aug-20 22:39:14

Btw, figures are if you are single. You pay less tax if you're married etc

boys3 Tue 18-Aug-20 22:39:20

Theyweretheworstoftimes

German Tax rates are higher than ours see photo

and they have far, far less dependency on the service sector within their economy as opposed to ours

Uhoh2020 Tue 18-Aug-20 22:40:43

latticechaos

I read today the UK could see 2m job losses. That would be horrible.

This scheme is one that Germany used in 2010 apparently, is the reason their economy didn't get so badly affected.

I'm envy jealous.

But furlough only covers staff wages, if companies aren't making any money and still have other overheads to pay the business will still fold and jobs will still go. Many jobs going are from the high street retailers which have been in trouble for quite some time already due to consumer spending habits it seems covid has just been the final nail in the high Street coffin

latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 22:41:38

@boys3

That is definitely in their favour I think.

ILoveAllRainbowsx Tue 18-Aug-20 22:48:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sickoffamilydrama Tue 18-Aug-20 22:49:39

@frolicmum Yes but it's the accumulative affect of that extra money, times that £330 by 4.2 million which is the number of higher tax payers in Germany according to this article www.thelocal.de/20170418/one-in-11-taxpayers-fall-within-germanys-highest-tax-bracket
and you get an extra £ 1, 386,000,000 which surprised me how so little cod make such a big difference.

user1487194234 Tue 18-Aug-20 22:49:39

I don't really think we can afford for furlough to go on any longer

latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 22:51:17

Message withdrawn as it quotes a deleted post.

Sickoffamilydrama Tue 18-Aug-20 22:51:48

Little Cod definitely make a difference 🤣 but we aren't talking about fishes 🎏

latticechaos Tue 18-Aug-20 22:53:16

I'm worried we are making the same mistake as 2010, but bigger this time.

Sickoffamilydrama Tue 18-Aug-20 22:59:06

I'm sure us going bankrupt was probably Karmic pay back for all the people our empire murdered and enslaved @ILoveAllRainbowsx you find me a nation that hasn't done something bad in the past.

But for the grace of God or any other deity of your choice goes us if you knew your history then you'd understand that movements like fascism grow across the whole of the world at that time and but for a multitude of small variables we could have been on the wrong side of history.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in