Social distancing to end by November?

(248 Posts)
Rainbow12e Wed 12-Aug-20 11:13:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
torydeathdrug Wed 12-Aug-20 11:14:20

I think it is vanishingly unlikely.

Qasd Wed 12-Aug-20 11:15:20

Not a chance numbers are going in the wrong direction for that!

I do appreciate why you want it too me too! But realistically it does not seem likely!

Morfin Wed 12-Aug-20 11:18:24

Even if he did it wouldn't change the risk.

Triangularbubble Wed 12-Aug-20 11:36:56

I cannot imagine a large extended family Christmas is remotely realistic and am planning on the basis it will just be our household and fairly low key - no Santa visit, no Christingle, no nativity play. We will just have to find other ways to make it special. Don’t forget, even if in the very unlikely scenario we do go back to “old normal” in November, it could all change and get cancelled by tweet at 10pm on Christmas Eve...

I have some hope of a slightly extended family Easter.

ohthegoats Wed 12-Aug-20 11:37:07

Johnson just says the stuff he thinks people want to hear. Every time he opens his mouth he is lying or making something up on the fly. Make your own plans for Christmas using your own judgement of risk nearer the time.

Bagelsandbrie Wed 12-Aug-20 11:37:54

Not a chance I don’t think unfortunately. I think social distancing is here to stay indefinitely.

beguilingeyes Wed 12-Aug-20 11:40:19

I am the opposite. Much as I love my in-laws I would so love a quiet Christmas at home with just my husband
Not having to eat poxy turkey and being in my own house would be absolute heaven for me.

LadyPenelope68 Wed 12-Aug-20 11:42:01

@Rainbow12e
*Anyone else hope Boris follows through on this?
DP and I are desperate to have a christmas with all our big extended family*
No, I hope he doesn’t go through with it as I’m desperate to keep my family alive, that’s more a priority than a bloody turkey dinner with them. Get real.

Crossincontinents Wed 12-Aug-20 11:51:54

I think you have more chance of winning the lottery!

happytoday73 Wed 12-Aug-20 11:52:42

I hope not....

ComtesseDeSpair Wed 12-Aug-20 11:54:11

I think they’ll simply become advisory. There’s no public will to continue social distancing indefinitely and I don’t know anyone - even people who were quite nervous back in March / April - who would be willing to forgo spending Christmas with loved ones not in their social bubble, they’d simply do it clandestinely.

Summer41 Wed 12-Aug-20 11:58:52

Can't see it happening, they've said the virus will spread more in the cold. Also the infection rate will go up when the weather turns and everyone stays indoors not social distancing. Where I live they have cancelled the pantomime and many New Year's Eve events.

Bombergirl Wed 12-Aug-20 11:59:13

Flu season will be in full swing by November so I really doubt it. Sorry.

Unless a vaccine or very effective treatment occurs in the next two and a half months.

Stinkbug Wed 12-Aug-20 12:00:13

Not the way things are going right now.

Maybe next Christmas but who knows?

Bombergirl Wed 12-Aug-20 12:01:12

(Not saying it’s a flu, saying that the virus is likely to be more prevalent at the times flu is more prevalent. Also... Flu has the potential to worsen some cases and also cause more isolation because of symptoms being similar.)

TinyMetalBirds Wed 12-Aug-20 12:02:07

I would like it too, but I don't think so. It will be interesting if the Tories have to be "the party that cancelled Christmas" though. I strongly suspect that if we are told not to mingle with extended family at Christmas, many people will do it anyway. How will it be policed?!

Even if we are told we can mingle (and if we can we will be going to my mum and dads) I am going to make sure we have a small turkey, the trimmings, crackers etc at home in case we are told not to at the last minute, or in case one of us comes down with symptoms.

AriettyHomily Wed 12-Aug-20 12:03:44

I can't see it happening. Whether or not people comply is another story.

We've pretty much written off a big family Christmas tbh. Kids have already said if we're stuck at home they want to do something different - ditch the big meal and get a curry or something. I'm quite up for that.

LucyWarlowsRightHand Wed 12-Aug-20 12:04:50

Here in the Netherlands where I live, we’ve been told that social distancing will continue until there’s a vaccine.

Obviously nobody knows for sure, but I’m more inclined to believe the Dutch PM who’s been straightforward throughout and very honest about not having the answers, rather than Boris Johnson whose main aim is to promote the best interests of Boris Johnson as he perceives them at the time of opening his mouth!

halcyondays Wed 12-Aug-20 12:07:13

ComtesseDeSpair

I think they’ll simply become advisory. There’s no public will to continue social distancing indefinitely and I don’t know anyone - even people who were quite nervous back in March / April - who would be willing to forgo spending Christmas with loved ones not in their social bubble, they’d simply do it clandestinely.

Judging by the number of posts on MN complaining about the stress of organising large Xmas dinners for demanding families/in-laws, I imagine there are plenty who are secretly relieved to have a genuine reason to cancel the whole thing.

FlySheMust Wed 12-Aug-20 12:07:49

Even Johnson isn't that stupid.

MissPoldark Wed 12-Aug-20 12:13:04

If there was ever anything Boris wishes he hadn’t said it’s this.

Yellowbutterfly1 Wed 12-Aug-20 12:14:06

When did he say this?

GoGoGadgetShoes Wed 12-Aug-20 12:17:44

I think that the one thing we can safely say is that there's no point making predictions, as we really don't know with any certainty how things will evolve beyond a few weeks ahead. I never for a minute thought that international travel (even at European level) would resume this summer and yet here it is, even though it will likely be very much wound down again (but again who knows for sure!).

My biggest lesson (hard for me, as a natural-born planner) has been not to make plans that can't be changed or cancelled. Nothing wrong with hoping that Xmas can be celebrated with some family members but making sure there's a plan B in place - and preparing children for that eventuality too.

TheSunIsStillShining Wed 12-Aug-20 12:23:05

FlySheMust

Even Johnson isn't that stupid.

I would not want to bet any money on that sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in