Talk

Advanced search

Coronavirus more dangerous for pregnant women than previously thought?

(8 Posts)
Milkshake7489 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:16:24

I've seen a few people mention that coronavirus is more dangerous in pregnancy than initially thought, however I can't seem to find any evidence to back this up. (Possibly due to baby brain!)

Does anyone know how true this is? Or does anyone have any links to studies they could share please?

I'm slightly freaking out and it would really help to be able to do a proper risk assessment blush

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Mon 03-Aug-20 09:31:48

www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/guidelines/coronavirus-pregnancy/covid-19-virus-infection-and-pregnancy/

3rd trimester seems most risky time and also more risk if BAME or have underlying conditions

Redolent Mon 03-Aug-20 09:34:56

I’ve found this from a few days ago:

www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/comment/pregnant-women-covid-19/

Indicates that they’re at a higher risk for ICU admission / hospitalization, and subsequent pre-term births, etc. This does not necessarily mean mortality but still to be avoided.

——-

From January 22 to June 7, the CDC collected data on more than 326,000 women of reproductive age (15–44 years) who had positive lab results for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. The results showed that pregnant women with the disease were more likely to be hospitalised, be admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU), and need mechanical ventilation than non-pregnant women with Covid-19 of the same age. This increased risk of ICU admission and mechanical ventilation may be partially due to the fact that pregnant women with Covid-19 more frequently reported an underlying chronic condition such as diabetes. However, data on whether the chronic condition was present before the infection occurred was unavailable. Among women ages 15–44 with the disease, pregnancy was not associated with an increased risk for mortality. This study’s findings suggest there may be a difference in disease severity between pregnant and non-pregnant women with Covid-19.

Other findings from the systematic review showed that pregnant women with Covid-19, SARS, or MERS were more likely to have preterm births, pre-eclampsia, and caesarian delivery when compared to pregnant women without the diseases

Foreverbaffled Mon 03-Aug-20 09:45:01

Don’t worry too much. Fortunately the poor outcomes in pregnancy found in SARS and MERS have not been found in Covid-19. Some increase in hospitalisation in third trimester but not an increase in mother or baby mortality. I think just be a bit extra cautious in your third trimester smile

Pesimistic Mon 03-Aug-20 09:54:30

Trouble is the data isnt that accurate, covid is a blood disease, pregnancy is essentially kept viable by blood, and pregnant women have 50% more blood than other members of society and also have lowered immune response to sustain the pregnancy, many pregnant women havent been in contact with anyone other than immediate household since lockdown was implemented so the few pregnant women that caught it isnt a true reflection of what the virus can do to pregnant women. Only now that america, India, Brazil ect are having enormous spikes and more of the pregnant population is getting infected are we seeking that it is actualy quite bad for pregnant women and their babies. I'm approaching my 28th week and will be returning to work in september, (in a school with contact with all the children only 1 of two staff who will have contact with all of them) no doubt with increased covid spread by then and still be made to go in as it's not 'that bad' for pregnant women, when just a few weeks ago I was deffinatly not returning due to the risk but with less contact, the mond boggles.

dementedpixie Mon 03-Aug-20 10:38:13

What do you mean it is a blood disease? Is it ni6t a respiratory disease as it primarily affects the lungs hence its called SARS cov 2 where SARS means severe acute respiratory syndrome?

Redolent Mon 03-Aug-20 10:50:44

dementedpixie

What do you mean it is a blood disease? Is it ni6t a respiratory disease as it primarily affects the lungs hence its called SARS cov 2 where SARS means severe acute respiratory syndrome?

This is from the British Heart Foundation:

“ Why coronavirus is a blood vessel problem
When the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 emerged at the end of 2019, it was initially thought that – like other coronaviruses affecting humans – it mainly caused lung problems.

But as the outbreak progressed, cases emerged suggesting that some of the most severe complications of the disease affect more than just the lungs. From reports of ‘sticky blood’ raising the risk of deep vein thrombosis, heart attack or stroke, to neurological effects, to painful red and swollen areas on the feet known as ‘Covid toe’ – many of these symptoms are thought to be linked to effects on our blood vessels.

[continues]”

www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/is-coronavirus-a-disease-of-the-blood-vessels

SexTrainGlue Mon 03-Aug-20 10:57:09

You certainly get ARDS with Covid, but it is far from a respiratory disease only. The effects on heart, blood and kidneys are important features

Pregnant women have been on the long-list medically vulnerable all along.

Only those with certain cardiac conditions were on the exceptionally medically vulnerable (shield) list. With the pausing of shielding, they should seek advice from their own consultant if not clear about what they should/should not do now.

Yes there have been cases (2?) in UK of women dying with Covid, but their babies surviving after delivery by C-section.

Whether there are any effects on foetus if Covid mother has Covid earlier in pregnancy is not known (too recent a disease)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in