Talk

Advanced search

Have any shielders been out yet?

(3 Posts)
Grottyfeet Sat 01-Aug-20 16:12:04

How are you finding it? I'm in the slightly strange position in that, just as official shielders are being told they may come out, DH has received a diagnosis and been told he must shield at least in the short term pending an operation (no date set yet)

I actually found the "full" lockdown OK, we regularly counted our blessings, bigish house, nice garden, secure jobs wfh etc. None of that has changed, except for the worry of DH's condition but it's much harder to be grateful for it now "everyone" else is returning to being out and about.

Also, I am finding that whilst during the lockdown, people were generally considerate out social distancing, people seem to have forgotten all about it now.

Someone held a gate open for me on my run this morning, lovely but....a friend consoling me over DH, stroked my arm, a concession from her, as she's usually a hugger but still...I bumped into someone I knew, stopped for a brief chat and had to keep taking a step backwards.

Whilst I've been told I can carry on with additional hygiene measures at home, I think I'm going to have to stay in with him sad

OP’s posts: |
cheekaa Sat 01-Aug-20 16:22:31

I have been shielding since Easter and plan to continue for as long as possible. I have a respiratory problem.
I have recently retired myself and have taken the opportunity to clear up all my paperwork and de clutter my house with a view to a major refurbishment once it is possible.
I am grateful that my circumstances are such that I have been well supported by a member of my family, a neighbour and some members of the local community. I have been trying out new recipes and keeping in touch with all my siblings and friends around the world.
My new projects starting this Monday are studying anthropology, languages and upcycling furniture.
I have been out of the house for short walks in the immediate residential areas avoiding shops etc.
Though had to go to the dentist last week as broke a tooth!!

30ishiwish Sat 01-Aug-20 17:01:17

I have been shielding since March as I take immunosuppressants.

Today I have been to the hairdressers and I took my son to play in a friendly football match. Next week, my DH and I are going out for a meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

I’ve got to go back to work (in a school) in September, teaching a class of 30 seven year olds with very little, if any, SD. We are also in an area which has been locked down again because of rising rates of infection.

I figured that currently, it’s safer to do these things and go to these places than it was in March. My family have been wonderful and very understanding but they have really missed our old life and routine.

We are going to have to live with this virus for the foreseeable future, taking precautions to keep safe.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in